No network connection on Ubuntu 12.04

Peter K Nicol

My new pc arrived today. I have just installed Ubuntu 12.04 but I am dismayed to find that I can't connect to the network. Network Manager states that there is no network connection. The modem and cable are ok as I have my laptop connected at the moment.
The new machine appears to have an Atheros card - is this an issue?
There are similar issues reported on the Ubuntu forum but none seem to apply here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Hi there, I had a similar problem at one point. I can't guarantee this would fix it for you but it may be worth a shot, co to command line and run this:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo rmmod -f ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

It may not work for you, it worked for me. You may as well try it! Also, it stops working as soon as you reboot your laptop so youwill haveto put it in at startup. If it works, I'll give you a bit of code that'll make it set at startup. Anyway, high chance it won't work, but you may as well try it!!

P.S. I'm assuming you wifi card is at wlan0. If not, change that to whatever it is!

Peter K Nicol

Solved it!

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.:)
It took a while but I found a solution on another forum. http://askubuntu.com/questions/1651...rs-for-the-atheros-ar8161-ethernet-controller.
This works for the Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet card.

Download compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc and start at the third line below. Ensure that you change the permissions on the script file. (I didn't see this to begin with and kept getting Permission denied - very annoying)

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-headers-`uname -r`
wget -O- http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc.tar.bz2 | tar -xj
cd compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc
make clean
./scripts/driver-select alx
make
sudo make install

I hope that helps. make clean seems a good idea although it is not in original post.

Peter

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Well done :)! If it works for you, that's all that matters! Enjoy the world of Linux! And please try using something instead of unity...I'd suggest gnome 3 ;) !!!

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Haha, it's slow and laggy imo!! The interface isn't really that interesting either! Anyway, that's my opinion! Each to their own! The main point is you are using linux which is great!!