No POST Beep, Fans Spin, Power on but no Display Signal

paul1224

I don't know if you guys could give me some technical help? Below is the initial issue and the steps I have taken:

Issue:
  • Turned PC on, all lights came on and fans but no POST beep or signal to my monitor.
  • Turned it off/on a few times and it started cutting all power after a few seconds.
  • Opened PC up and took 1 RAM module out and it booted fine.
  • Put same RAM module back in same slot to confirm that was the issue but it booted fine as normal.
  • Then it started to start to boot and the power just died again.
  • Looked further and CPU Heatsink wasn't secure as the plastic push pins appear to have broken.
  • Didn't try PC any further as was worried about damage to CPU.

Troubleshooting:
  • Brought new heatsink and fan.
  • Took thermal paste off CPU with appropriate cleaning fluid and repasted CPU and fitted heatsink and fan.
  • Booted PC, fans came on, MOBO light on, but no POST beep and no signal.
  • Checked PSU with PSU tester and it appeared faulty.
  • Replaced PSU and tested it with PSU tester and all appeared fine.
  • Installed PSU but have same issue, MOBO light on, fans all spin but no POST beep or signal to my monitor.
  • Tried taking RAM out separately and completely but same issue happens.
  • Took GPU out and tried to boot but same issue happens.
  • Replaced CMOS battery but same issue remains.
I am left thinking that now it can only be either a MOBO failure and/or CPU?

If a CPU failure and the MOBO was working ok wouldn't it come up with warning beeps or a message on screen of some kind? If so do you think likely MOBO failure instead?

Are there any other troubleshooting I could do other than replace the MOBO/CPU? The PC is very old but was functional for my needs. I can only get used CPU/MOBO now due to how old they are but considering giving it a try.

Any thoughts if possible welcomed.

paul1224

Yeah old PC from PCS with specs below:

Purchased a used processor to test if that is the problem and should get it in a few days but any other thoughts or troubleshooting other than if the CPU replacement doesn't work a new Mobo welcomed.

CaseStylish Silver/Black Sigma case + 2 front USB
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™2 Duo E8500 (2 X 3.16GHz) 1333MHz FSB/6MB (Special Offer)
MotherboardASUS® P5QPL-AM
Memory (RAM)4GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x2GB)
Graphics Card1024MB GEFORCE 9600GT PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
1st Storage Drive250GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card ReaderINTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply450W Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor CoolingSUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS N 300Mbps NETWORK CARD)
USB/Thunderbolt Options6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD
Floppy Disk Drive1.44MB - 3.5 INCH FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
Operating SystemGenuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64-bit Edition + SP1, CD
Warranty1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1 Year Free Collect & Return:

paul1224

Not sure if anyone can give me any suggestions but I have now brought and tried a used CPU and still no POST beep, everything turns on but the PC won't boot.

Next thoughts are it can now only be the Mobo, I can get a relatively cheap used one but wondering whether to just cut my losses now. Has anyone had a Mobo failure like I am describing, i.e. Mobo light comes on, all fans spin, but no POST beep?

I've had 2 Mobo failures with this rig before but both times it was a complete failure with no lights or fans spinning so would appreciate anyone with any other experiences to comment.

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure if anyone can give me any suggestions but I have now brought and tried a used CPU and still no POST beep, everything turns on but the PC won't boot.

Next thoughts are it can now only be the Mobo, I can get a relatively cheap used one but wondering whether to just cut my losses now. Has anyone had a Mobo failure like I am describing, i.e. Mobo light comes on, all fans spin, but no POST beep?

I've had 2 Mobo failures with this rig before but both times it was a complete failure with no lights or fans spinning so would appreciate anyone with any other experiences to comment.

Thanks
It’s a very old build, I would have thought accept defeat and save your money for a new build.

paul1224

Yeah probably the wisest move but as old components the cost of replacing relatively cheap and when working it does what I need. Just wondered if it was worth another £25 for a used Mobo. If others have suffered Mobo failures similar to mine would make me more confident that it is likely to be the Mobo. Just I have never experienced this type of failure before with so many other things pointing to other component failures.