No power consumption for mini PC and no DDR4?

TikTek

I'm trying to build a machine but I need it to run from a laptop type power supply.
My ideal is an NUC (mini PC) with I7 3.1 gb cpu, 32 gig RAM (16 if necessary) but DDR4, a good graphics card for gaming, SSD for boot and HDD for data, audio card, bluetooth, WiFi.
I've tried configurating but don't seen to be able to put one together for some reason? I know NUC's can take DDR4 but none are listed. I know they can run off brick power supplies but none are listed.

TikTek

I have a reply by email but for some reason it's not showing.
The reply said these fora are for PCS built machines so I should ask questions in Tom's hardware. Erm...how thick can you get? I AM asking about a pcs built machine! Why the hell do you think I posted in here! LMFAO
You do do NUC PC's right?
So, lets start again and can someone who has authority to reply please reply regarding a pre-sales enquiry about a PCS build machine!

I'm trying to build a machine but I need it to run from a laptop type power supply.
My ideal is an NUC (mini PC) with I7 3.1 gb cpu, 32 gig RAM (16 if necessary) but DDR4, a good graphics card for gaming, SSD for boot and HDD for data, audio card, bluetooth, WiFi.
I've tried configurating but don't seen to be able to put one together for some reason? I know NUC's can take DDR4 but none are listed. I know they can run off brick power supplies but none are listed.

TikTek

Pre sales question about PC built by PCS!!

I've configured this NUC PC. However my questions are can I put the SSD in as first drive, and a standard HDD as a second drive?
Also what power supply comes with this machine?

Thanks in advance.

Case
Intel NUC Ultra Small Form Factor Case i5/HDD (NUC6i5SYH)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Dual Core Processor i5-6260U (up to 2.90GHz) 4MB Cache
Motherboard
Intel NUC6i5S Ultra Small Form Factor (mHDMI/mDP, 4 x USB 3.0, G/B LAN)
Memory (RAM)
32GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® IRIS™ GRAPHICS 540 - 1.7GB Max DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON V300 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
Sound Card
Intel® HD Audio via Headphone/Mic Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x FRONT USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x REAR USB 3.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have no authority here, I'm just a user, but afaik you're not going to get an NUC with a discrete graphics card. Mini PC, sure, but not a NUC.
http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...pc-with-support-for-discrete-graphics-1312618

There may be some other models that would work with external GPUs, but I vaguely recall that external GPU enclosures are often more expensive than even a very high end GPU (which you need to also buy separately) so that's not a solution that would appeal to everyone. So you're broadly stuck with integrated graphics.

Looking at the configurator it seems that the only i7 available is a broadwell CPU not skylake, and therefore DDR4 isn't an option with that one. (If it starts with 5 after the i5/i7 bit, it's broadwell*, if it starts with 6 like i5 6200U, it's skylake).

Here's a review of a NUC with that broadwell CPU: http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/intel-nuc-core-i7-review/ showing it will at least run modern games on its integrated graphics.
And a ranking of CPUs, showing broadwell as pretty competitive with even skylake -U CPUs: https://tinyurl.com/gpxmxem

Hope that's of some interest.

(edit: * - unless it's Haswell-E, which it won't be in a NUC)

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
how thick can you get? I AM asking about a pcs built machine! Why the hell do you think I posted in here! LMFAO
People make mistakes, being rude doesn't help either.

There may be some other models that would work with external GPUs, but I vaguely recall that external GPU enclosures are often more expensive than even a very high end GPU (which you need to also buy separately) so that's not a solution that would appeal to everyone. So you're broadly stuck with integrated graphics.

I would assume you could get a mobile gpu but that may also require more power.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have a reply by email but for some reason it's not showing.
The reply said these fora are for PCS built machines so I should ask questions in Tom's hardware. Erm...how thick can you get? I AM asking about a pcs built machine! Why the hell do you think I posted in here! LMFAO
You do do NUC PC's right?
So, lets start again and can someone who has authority to reply please reply regarding a pre-sales enquiry about a PCS build machine!

That was me. I deleted the post I made to here but was not able to stop the email to you. To be perfectly frank you didn't explain yourself terribly well but I apologise for misunderstanding your question.

However, as keynes has pointed out, being rude does not make you any friends.

I have merged your two threads because they appear to be about the same subject. That way you'll get all replies in one place.