No sound anymore

Nige78

Hi all,

I've had my PC for a while now, all being working fine until the last few days. Basically I'm not getting any sound any more out of my speakers, nor if I plug headphone into the jack of my speakers. If I unplug the speakers and plug them back in the card detects something has been inserted but that's all.

Windows 8. NVIDIA high definition audio card with Realtek speakers. Speakers are working fine (checked with another device).

Any guidance or tips greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Have you tried a set of headphones to see if they work? There are loads of things it could be unfortunately, it sounds unlikely to be the card though. It's most likely a setting somewhere.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Whenever I see someone write "...all being working fine until the last few days" my immediate thought is, what happened a few days ago? If something was working and now it's not then something has changed, the question is what changed?

Have you installed any Windows updates recently? If it's Windows 10 then that's a big yes. Back out the latest updates (the ones from a few days ago) and see whether that helps.

Have you installed or updated any drivers in the last few days? if so, back those out too.

Have you installed or updated any other software in the last few days? Again, back the updates out (or uninstall the software) and see whether that helps.

This could be a hardware problem, but first you have to eliminate the potential software causes.