No sound

Tweenie

Greetings,
My new desktop computer arrived yesterday and setup went well except for the fact that I get no sound.
The motherboard is an ASUS Prime B550-Plus. I have plugged my hi-fi system ( 5.1 and subwoofer ) into the rear panel connectors and switched everything on but the troubleshooter claims nothing is connected.
My monitor, an AOC U2879VF is connected by hdmi cord to the graphics card and the picture is fine. I found it strange when I first tried to troubleshoot the issue that the sound output device was set as 1-U2879G6 ( AMD High Definition Audio Device ); I changed to the alternative Speakers ( Realtek High Definition Audio Device ). Then I hit Troubleshoot to no avail.
Please help.

D

Deleted member 17413

Can you link your full specs from your order?
Do you get sound through other devices/ports?

Tweenie

This may work:
Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
External Hard Drive
2TB Seagate One Touch External HDD, USB 3.0, Black
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office Software
Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2019 (1 Digital License)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

D

Deleted member 17413

When you got it, did you do all the windows updates and your GPU drivers?
Have you tried any usb ports for headphones or similar? Trying to see if you have any sound at all, or if its just that port.

Just checking as well, the jacks are in the right sockets?

Tweenie

I have just connected headphones to the jackplug connectipn on the front of the computer, and they work! That is a relief.
Windows claimed it was up to date. I have not tackled any driver updates, after all the computer is only one day old.
There is some choice of connection point on the rear panel: Orange is for centre subwoofer; Black for rear speakers in 5.1 chanel configuration; Lime for a headphone or speaker. My old 5.1 stereo system offers two wires which connect jointly via a jackplug; I put this in the black connector. ( It worked well with my old PCS desktop for eleven years....).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have just connected headphones to the jackplug connectipn on the front of the computer, and they work! That is a relief.
Windows claimed it was up to date. I have not tackled any driver updates, after all the computer is only one day old.
There is some choice of connection point on the rear panel: Orange is for centre subwoofer; Black for rear speakers in 5.1 chanel configuration; Lime for a headphone or speaker. My old 5.1 stereo system offers two wires which connect jointly via a jackplug; I put this in the black connector. ( It worked well with my old PCS desktop for eleven years....).

it’s 2 channels per output. So if you’re using true 5.1 then you’d use lime for left and right front, black for rear left and right and orange for center.

soundcards are very different to how they were years ago.

If you’re just using one output, that’s not using 5.1, that’s just standard stereo. You would use the green for that.

Or if you just want to pass through a straight signal for the amp to arrange surround then you’d use spdif optical.

Tweenie

Thanks, I now have sound through my old speakers.While I sort the connections more carefully I have settled for the one output which my system converts to share with multiple speakers. One small point which may interest others setting up their new computer: the sound card outputs are silenced while headphones are in use.