No spare MoBo USB

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
So I'm looking at my mobo in prep for my wifi card coming and there are 2 USB slots on the mobo, both used, one by the h115i and the other it looks like it goes to the top mounted USB ports.

The card needs one so is there a solution to overcome this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I'm looking at my mobo in prep for my wifi card coming and there are 2 USB slots on the mobo, both used, one by the h115i and the other it looks like it goes to the top mounted USB ports.

The card needs one so is there a solution to overcome this?
Why on earth does a wifi card need a USB?

Do you mean a USB wifi dongle?

Can you post a link?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah, ok, so there are 2 x USB 2 headers which actually supply 4 ports, but guessing these are taken up with the case ports?

AMD X570 chipset :
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at mid-board)
AMD X570 chipset :
4 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at mid-board)

This is perplexing.

Can you post your full specs? I need to put my thinking cap on for this.

First we need to figure out what's using the 4 USB ports, weather or not they've wired it so only one port is using a dual slot. (what I'm hoping).

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Sure

Case: CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570 F

Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Super

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb / 2TB Seagate Barracuda SSD

PSU: CORSAIR 750W RMx 80 PLUS GOLD

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM

One header goes to the H115i and the other case ports, yes. I wonder what they'd do if I added a wifi card to the build, not have the Bluetooth on? I suppose its an option but I'd rather have it if its there.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sure

Case: CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570 F

Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Super

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb / 2TB Seagate Barracuda SSD

PSU: CORSAIR 750W RMx 80 PLUS GOLD

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM

One header goes to the H115i and the other case ports, yes. I wonder what they'd do if I added a wifi card to the build, not have the Bluetooth on? I suppose its an option but I'd rather have it if its there.
Coolies, so there's a couple of things here. The cooler is taking 2 ports (from 1 connector) but only needs one.

You can get an internal USB port replicator like this:

Or a barebones one like this which is cheaper:

They take the one input and replicate it to 3 ports. I would then leave the Case ports in the dedicated header, and try moving the cooler header onto this expansion card. Then add the Bluetooth port and gives you one spare for the future.

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Thanks SpyderTracks. The nxt is only 15 on Amazon and it'll come tomorrow so I've ordered that. I can fit the card until that comes i suppose, if it is just Bluetooth at least I'll have Internet!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would consider a different angle and just get a different PCIe Wireless card to be honest. That's a strange configuration.

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Its the Bluetooth element that required the USB from what I gather. All of the cards I've looked at with Bluetooth have a USB requirement. I've ordered the nxt hub now and figured extra USB never come in wrong. I've got a small screen coming that needs a traditional USB so it'll come in useful for that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
They shouldn't take over the whole header though, seems strange to me.

The £18 option from PCS has bluetooth on it and would have saved you a ton of hassle :D

steaky360

They shouldn't take over the whole header though, seems strange to me.

The £18 option from PCS has bluetooth on it and would have saved you a ton of hassle :D
It still requires a internal USB connection for the bluetooth. I've yet to find one which doesn't. I've got one with my wireless card but its not plugged in (the card works just fine, I just don't have bluetooth via the card).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It still requires a internal USB connection for the bluetooth. I've yet to find one which doesn't. I've got one with my wireless card but its not plugged in (the card works just fine, I just don't have bluetooth via the card).

Oh no I get that they require USB, but taking over a 4 port hub is a bit much :D

I would have thought they would be able to employ some sort of pass through, similar to how a hub works, using the connection cable.

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Thanks Steaky - it's due at 13:30 so my intention was to fit it and add the USB hub tomorrow to allow for Bluetooth, good to know it should work out this way.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This thread has been very informative for me as I was not at all aware that the Bluetooth required a USB header (just assumed it was all done via the usual connections like the Wi-Fi) nor was I aware that the H115i needed one either (assumed it was all just via the usual fan headers)

All the "i" ones use the USB header as that's how the lighting and fan control is handled via iCue :)

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Hey this last 2 weeks has been one learning curve for me! The h151i uses it for water temps, lighting and fan speed as far as i can tell. It all comes up on iCUE so i assume it comes from that.

Edit: what Scott said!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
RGB use their own ARGB headers for the most part. The USB is only used as a control function for non aRGB fans.

There are also RGB commanders and the likes. Corsair does one that comes with the 500D SE.