No wifi/boot up issues

Crazzy Bones

Hi, not great with com-puters (think Jen off IT crowd) but here goes.
Recently moved house, set up pc at new place, updating windows. I leave it to update all day after I lock it (windows button + L). When I come back, it’s still in the lock screen, but is frozen.

I restart, after loading the log in screen, I notice the wifi icon is replaced with the ‘no ethernet cable connected’ icon.

I log in, no internet connection. Troubleshooting comes up with ‘plug in ethernet cabe’.( Pc has a wireless adapter).

Turn it off and on. Log in screen, wifi icon present and connected. Try to log in, pc freezes. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Tried it a few times, only these to scenarios so far.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
So it was working fine after you moved it, but before you updated Windows, as far as you could tell?

Being lazy, the first thing I'd probably do is try booting from a USB pen with Linux, and seeing if everything (wifi etc) works, and if you can read the files on the disk(s).

For Linux, use something like Ubuntu - you can run it 'live' without installing. The process for making the USB is as easy as downloading the (free) ISO file containing the Linux installation files, and pressing about 3 buttons in (free) Rufus USB

To boot from a USB pen, enter your BIOS on startup (often by pressing F2 or Del repeatedly) and select the device to boot from.

If wifi works and you can read all the files on the disks, your hardware is likely to be fine. If you don't have a backup of important data, take that opportunity to do so e.g. copying them to an external hard drive.

Could be that a windows update (likely a Windows Upgrade if it was an all-day job?) messed up the Windows install, including the network/wifi card drivers.

If you don't have any files on the PC that you're bothered about losing you could just do a clean install of Windows.

Of course it's always possible you have more than 1 issue. But I'd start with the OS first.