Noise Level Vortex II 15"

ebandit

Due to a requirement to be mobile over the next few years I have decided to sell my desktop rig. As part of the process, I'm currently researching a new gaming laptop for games such as World of Tanks and World of Warcraft.

I would like to understand the noise level that a stressed Vortex II 15" chassis (P150HM (?)) emits. I have had previous experious of a Clevo chassis with a beefy spec from Rock some years ago and was highly disappointed by both the physical quality, BIOS quality and noise levels of the machine to the extent that I returned it.

A friend of mine has just bought an Alienware M17x R3 with i7 2730 and GTX560M grfx and I have to say the low fan noise and fps whilst gaming is impressive. I understand a larger chassis can house a large cooling array.

I have read a few reviews and posts on this forum which don't really give any comparitive assessment of the noise levels. Reviews of the similar chassis here state that with the GTX560M:

System Noise

As in many other Clevo barebones, the noise development is quite high. The laptop is always audible during low load (Internet, video, etc.). Both case fans don't work particularly constantly during this. The noise level varies between a slight and a clearly audible level. The fans even turn up to a clear and almost disturbing level when the XMG P501 PRO is put under high load (3D applications, games, etc.). The result: Games are drowned out in quieter scenes.

Thus, the 15 incher isn't anything for sensitive characters. It's no comparison to the Asus G73SW. The majority of users will likely be able to live with the noise emissions, though.​

I'm keen to understand if this is a biased review or fairly true to life!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

The physical quality of the Vortex II is very high, and Clevo have manufactured some excellent chassis in recent years. Here's a link to a fantastic review of our chassis on notebook review with over 50 pics:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...evo-p150hm-pcs-vortex-ii-15-review-rebel.html

This particular customers' thoughts on temperatures/noise were as follows:

Temperatures

This computer runs very cool the cooling system is by far one of the best I’ve seen in a laptop. It rarely gets warm due to the fact that the fans do such a good job at keeping the system cool. Now noise is sort of subjective. My fans cycle up and down but that is most likely due to my current BIOS and EC firmware. Depending on the environment you won’t notice them that much and they tend to turn into background noise. As for battery life I’m yet to give it a proper testing but I did manage to get about 2 hours under moderate use with the screen brightness at full.

PokerFace

Banned
Here's a link to a fantastic review of our chassis on notebook review with over 50 pics:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...evo-p150hm-pcs-vortex-ii-15-review-rebel.html

Yes, a very nice review, but I wouldn't want to buy a second-hand car of that guy after reading the first paragraph of his review which in which he wrote:

"Hey this is my review of the Clevo P150HM/PCS Vortex II 15 Laptop. This is my first time buying a Clevo computer my last computer was a Dell XPS M1730 which I bought in 2008. It worked flawlessly during that time until the dual 8800MGTX graphics card decided to die on me a few months ago. Luckily I managed to fix it with a nice baking but it’s only a temporary fix so I sold it quickly."

:eek: :eek:

How to bake a graphics card