Noisy Powebox

Charly

Bronze Level Poster
Just got my new pc, and I have a lot of noise coming off of the power box (I THINK). If I give the unit a jolt it quietens a bit.

Its still a lot louder that I was expecting. (this is with the PC virtually idle, I have a web browser open)

The box in question is a: CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET.

Anyone had powerbox problems before? This is a pain as everything else seems okay.

Cheers

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What kind of noise? a squeel or grating? It may be that there's a cable inside brushing against one of the fans.

Charly

Bronze Level Poster
I have had an opportunity to recheck, and I missed a fan. I thought I had checked, but it was gone 11pm last night when I opened it (should have waited until the weekend).

It the GEFORCE GTX 760 graphics card that is causing the noise (the fan). Its very "gratey". It was more noticeable when I started up exactly where the noise was coming from.

What should I do a this point? Try a little sewing machine oil, or leave it? Cables are clear. Its a bit of a pain if I have to return the whole thing because of that.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have had an opportunity to recheck, and I missed a fan. I thought I had checked, but it was gone 11pm last night when I opened it (should have waited until the weekend).

It the GEFORCE GTX 760 graphics card that is causing the noise (the fan). Its very "gratey". It was more noticeable when I started up exactly where the noise was coming from.

What should I do a this point? Try a little sewing machine oil, or leave it? Cables are clear. Its a bit of a pain if I have to return the whole thing because of that.

I would phone pcs and ask for an RMA on the card, they should be able to just post you the replacement card rather than having to send the whole unit back.

Charly

Bronze Level Poster
You know what, I give up, I came back in the room and there was a huge amount of noise coming from the power box. Very noticeable. So there is a problem there, maybe a cable lose inside? I slapped the top of it and it stopped.

Noises everywhere.

This is so annoying. I have to leave for work soon (took the morning off).

I am not sure if I am being over sensitive about the graphics card noise. It may be less noticeable once its under the desk. On the other hand if its not right... Maybe its a noisy model? I am not experienced enough to know how much noise is too much, although I thought modern cards were very quiet when not under strain.

Rakk

The Awesome
As SpyderTracks said I'd give PCS a call to see what can be done, it's possible that during transit something happened to the PSU and/or Graphics card, possibly the DPD van hit a big pothole somewhere.