Noisy power supply fan

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all

When I turned on my computer earlier this week, I started to hear a rattling noise that sounded like one of the cooling fans. As I pulled the box from under my desk it stopped, so I pushed it back in again.

Tonight the same thing happened, so I pulled it out more carefully this time and when I got the side case off, it was obvious the fan on the PSU was to blame.

I gently tapped the side of the PSU housing and the rattle stopped, so it seems like a small movement or bump will get rid of the rattle. This reminds me of when my dad used to thump our old telly to stop a buzzing noise; while it seems to work, it doesn't seem like a satisfactory way of treating a sensitive piece of electronic equipment long term.

Anything I should consider taking apart (there are a lot of wires in there) and tightening up? Or lubricating, perhaps?

Martyn

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Unplug your pc from the wall, make sure to touch the unpainted part of the case, or psu to discharge any static you have on your body (or use an anti-static wristband if you have one). If you put your hand on the heatsink, does it have alot of movement? Ideally it should be securely tightened down with minimal movement :)

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Corfate. I've tweaked my original post having realised I don't know my power supply from my processor. It is the fan on the power supply. Sorry for the confusion, I just got my acronyms muddled.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Dont attempt to open up the PSU,
best give PCS a call if still under warranty.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
give pcs a call on this one, if your psu is rattling i'd try and do it as soon as possible.

as vanthus said dont open the psu or remove it from the case.