noob question

mclean

So I am going to need a laptop at some point soon and I had some questions. I've always liked video games and I am very picky when it comes to graphics and performance. If I want to be able to play games like crysis 2 and battlefield 3 on high with fps above 40 or so what kind of hardware do I need? And if I want to save money what kind of laptop could I get that is a solid average system that is easily upgraed. In other words what parts can be exchanged? The CPU, graphics card, ram, etc.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So I am going to need a laptop at some point soon and I had some questions. I've always liked video games and I am very picky when it comes to graphics and performance. If I want to be able to play games like crysis 2 and battlefield 3 on high with fps above 40 or so what kind of hardware do I need? And if I want to save money what kind of laptop could I get that is a solid average system that is easily upgraed. In other words what parts can be exchanged? The CPU, graphics card, ram, etc.

What is your budget?

mclean

budget

Well I'm thinking around 1500 usd. Just a question how much were the white mac books? Cause since I'm still in school my father will help me out, I haven't talked to him about it yet but I'm thinking my budget will be close to what the white mac books were since he bought my sister one years ago. As long as graphics and the framerate are noticeably better than xbox I'm in.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Well I'm thinking around 1500 usd. Just a question how much were the white mac books? Cause since I'm still in school my father will help me out, I haven't talked to him about it yet but I'm thinking my budget will be close to what the white mac books were since he bought my sister one years ago. As long as graphics and the framerate are noticeably better than xbox I'm in.

$1500 dollars? No idea about pricing of macbooks, don't work for apple :) depends on the specs I guess.

PlasticTastic

Bronze Level Poster
$1,500 = £964. For that you're gonna struggle to be able to run Crysis/BF3 on high.

For £1,027 ($1,598) I would suggest this:

Chassis & Display
SkyFire:17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M - 1.5GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

Leaving everything else stock. That should be able to run Crysis on medium/high comfortably, maby pushing it to full high. Otherwise the graphics card offered in the lower-priced laptops may not suit your wants.

mclean

Ok well I was looking at the graphics cards compared and it looked like the only card that could run these games on recommended was the amd card coming in july. So what's the deal with that? Did I look at the wrong thing? Also if I go with the setup above can I get a better graphics card later?.......again I don't know much about hardware yet but what is better about going with a I5 over I7? There's so many choices its all just over my head. And why have a hard drive over a ssd if the ssd is faster

Last edited: