Nova 15.6 overheating

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Definitely more convenient these days. Used to be fun times using modified bios and potentially bricking the system heh.

Also I suspect that there is very low odds of a bios update to add support for 4000 series processors. :(

Not that it's likely I'll need more horsepower but the option would of been cool.
It’s a modified B450 board so wouldn’t support 4000 series processors anyway.

JosDea

It’s a modified B450 board so wouldn’t support 4000 series processors anyway.
B450 boards will support ryzen 4000 with a bios update. The issue is the ROM being to small to include every chip so likely will loose Ryzen 1000 series support in order to add ryzen 4000 support.

AMD changed their minds after community pressure :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
B450 boards will support ryzen 4000 with a bios update. The issue is the ROM being to small to include every chip so likely will loose Ryzen 1000 series support in order to add ryzen 4000 support.

AMD changed their minds after community pressure :)
Oh yeah, I remember now. No, I think it’s very unlikely it will support 4000 series. It’s easier on a desktop as the cooling isn’t such an issue, with a laptop, you’re talking a whole new chassis to deal with the enhanced cooling requirements.

JosDea

Oh yeah, I remember now. No, I think it’s very unlikely it will support 4000 series. It’s easier on a desktop as the cooling isn’t such an issue, with a laptop, you’re talking a whole new chassis to deal with the enhanced cooling requirements.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyways, the reported IPC and clock speed increases will presumably be at the same tdp so would be great at 65w

I can foresee 3.9-4ghz all core boost in the same thermal envelope.

However even 3.8ghz with an improved IPC would be a decent uplift.

Every second counts when using blender, sooner a render finishes the faster I can go back to playing games heh.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll keep my fingers crossed anyways, the reported IPC and clock speed increases will presumably be at the same tdp so would be great at 65w

I can foresee 3.9-4ghz all core boost in the same thermal envelope.

However even 3.8ghz with an improved IPC would be a decent uplift.

Every second counts when using blender, sooner a render finishes the faster I can go back to playing games heh.
Yeah, I think 4000 are going to be pretty special. Perhaps when it comes to it if the tdp is similar we could start a petition online directed to clevo as they would be responsible for a BIOS update. Aside from the tdp though, it’s weather the VRMs could support the new chips. That’s going to be the issue even with desktop B450, I have no doubt that even with BIOS support, there will be instability on the lesser boards due to inferior VRM design.