Nova or Vyper ?

Bukky

All right. I have to ask. Nova 15 or Vyper 17'' ?

My budget is something like 2.2-2.5k€.
My main work is music production and sound post-prod for tv. I also have to to do some video editing and rendering each week for shows (broadcast).
Basically what I want is a laptop which will allow me to do those things when away from the studio/home. I know it won't be as fast as my studio setup obviously, but I want something that can at least handle that kind of work, as mixing and "mastering" for broadcast audio is ressource-heavy (the plugins are really hard on the machines) and the video side of my work is not too hard but i have to work on big files (50-150Go) so it takes time.

Of course, while I'm at it, since it will be the computer I take with me when I'm on "semi-holidays", I plan on using it for games too.

So, Nova or Vyper ?

I already know I'll go for Nvme Evo 2To primary drive and a 2070 GPU (or maybe 2070 Super if I pick the Vyper) so it's really about the computer itself. And I'm really not sure. (Nova should be much faster, but Vyper is Intel which I think is better for audio software, and also has thunderbolt)

Charlas

Enthusiast
If you need thunderbolt (or more that 5gb/s over usb3 as tb is 40gb/s) then you only have Intel for the time being. If you needs lots of threads then maybe ryzen is the way to go.

If video is a need, the Adobe have just updated their tools to support gpu acceleration natively (not sure about their audio apps, maybe accelerated too)

Battery life would probably be better on ryzen if your running unplugged.

I've just gone with a Vyper 17, and will be using it for video (with 2070 super)

I wanted TB though as wanted 4 monitor support (and that can't easily be done on Usb3)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Nova isn't a laptop, it's a DTR (Destop Replacement) and has desktop CPU's so it's extremely powerful, but sacrifices portability (very heavy) and has almost no battery life. It's not designed to be portable, but static on a desk.

It sounds like you're looking for something portable in which case I'd probably recommend neither and go with the Recoil 17". Reason being is I think the recoil has a better cooling system and will be quieter when under load, plus still has thunderbolt 3 which no doubt you'll find handy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just further, what I’d really recommend, if you were able to would be to wait for the AMD 4000 series laptops that are due hopefully shortly. AMD 4000 CPU’s destroy intels in all benchmarks while using half the power so long is substantially better as well as battery life.

But realise you may need something sooner. We have no confirmed dates for the AMD laptops as yet.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Also the AMD Ryzen 4000's almost certainly won't have TB3 and we're not sure what Gpu's they will have access too as AMD 4000 laptops haven't been shipped with anything over RTX2060 so far. However the CPUs are looking awesome for the most part

Bukky

Ok, first of all : thank you guys , that was VERY informative !!

As for waiting for new AMD laptops : I can't, because sadly I'll be needing this laptop by early july...

The Nova isn't a laptop, it's a DTR (Destop Replacement) and has desktop CPU's so it's extremely powerful, but sacrifices portability (very heavy) and has almost no battery life. It's not designed to be portable, but static on a desk.

It sounds like you're looking for something portable in which case I'd probably recommend neither and go with the Recoil 17". Reason being is I think the recoil has a better cooling system and will be quieter when under load, plus still has thunderbolt 3 which no doubt you'll find handy.
???
Do you mean Recoil 15,6" ? Because the Recoil 17" is even heavier and bulkier thant the Nova, right ? (and probably a little bit too expensive for my budget, I would need 3k+ for the right specs I guess).
If you mean the Recoil 15,6", yeah, I hadn't even considered this one (don't know why, I guess it was because there is no 17" version and I felt like thermals would be better in a 17" chassis).

Charlas

Enthusiast
Must admit I'm looking forward to moving up to a 17.3 from my omen 15, but that's my eyesight 😊

Charlas

Enthusiast
If you want something portable and powerful, perhaps the Vyper 17, 32gb, 2070 super. I've only popped the standard 1tb in it as got a couple going to use instead here, and will pop that in an NVMe TB enclosure. Comes in around your budget area.

Bukky

Yeah, I was aiming at something like this :

Chassis & Display
Vyper Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Vyper Series 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 PORT + 3 x USB 3.1 PORTS
Keyboard Language
VYPER 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT FRENCH KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
France/République Française - French Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 DAY DELIVERY TO FRANCE
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

But if the Recoil 15,6's thermals are much better (only upside for me, as I don't care for eht mechanical keyboard or the 240hz screen) I might pick the Recoil equivalent.

Charlas

Enthusiast
That basically the same spec as I've ordered, from reviews and the likes (what limited there are of this chassis at the moment) the thermals seem OK. Have to tell you after I receive mine though for deffo