nvidia 368.39 drivers

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hi Guys

Just bought Doom and it won't run. Getting the GL_ARB_CLIP_CONTROL fatal error. Seems it's probably my old (not updated for 2 years, in fact ever) graphics drivers.
Has anyone used the above drivers and do they cause any problems. Just that i've never had driver issues before which is why i've never updated them. If it aint broke etc

I'm not bothered about amazing settings (just as well as running a gtx 770m) I just want it to work.

Thanks for any advice.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Another couple of questions please......

How do I tell what version drivers i'm currently using ? I checked on dxdiag and the version stated was in an entirely different format to the 368.39 i'm considering installing. dxdiag said i had ver 10.18.10.3345
I also did a scan via the nvidia website and it said my current driver was " -- " very helpful !!

Also would i be better to go to the Clevo website and use their drivers (I've got a 2+ year old Vortex iv which i think is the Clevo P170 SM)

cheers

daveeb

Enthusiast
Well i've answered one of my own questions

using nvidia inspector i find i'm using 335.23 whql (r334.89) don't know what the bracketed part is.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well i've answered one of my own questions

using nvidia inspector i find i'm using 335.23 whql (r334.89) don't know what the bracketed part is.

Allo allo. Yeah, you're on a very old driver. I'm on the latest nvidia driver and have had no issues at all. No problems with Optimus switching or heat, bsods, nothing.

If you're going to update, go to www.nvidia.com and download from there. Make sure you select a custom install and then select the clean install checkbox when the driver install loads.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Definitely recommend updating your driver for better compatibility with newer games and should get a performance boost. Optimus shouldn't be too much of a problem, would generally stick to the WHQL (Windows Hardware Qualified Labs) versions as they are the least likely to have problems with Optimus and are the ones with highest stability.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice.

I realise that the custom (clean ??) install is the most stable way to do things but would that not rule out the option to roll back the driver if things don't go well (or is the old version backed up and not deleted ?)

Also could I ask SpyderTracks what version you're using ??

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It would remove that opportunity yes, but if there are issues then you could just reinstall a different version. Very unlikely that there would be any major issues, particularly with a clean install and a reboot.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Thanks Wozza, just a thought, if i do a system restore point before the clean gfx install would that give me the option to get back to the old gfx driver if it goes wrong ?