Nvidia Driver updates

lousmaczylo

Bronze Level Poster
I'm sure this has been covered. I have Nvidia Geforce experience on my laptop. I update when it tells me there is an updated driver. Is there any point? Am I doing the correct thing? I have no issues with my laptop by doing this as far as I can see.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's also always worth doing a custom install / clean install of the driver update, this fully deletes the previous driver before installing the new. Otherwise it just overlays the new driver over the old which can often lead to problems

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
If you play games then yes updating can be helpful, but not always. Best to wait a few days if not a week before installing a new driver. If you dont play game then if it aint broke leave it alone and check for updates every 4-6months will be enough.

But newest isn't always best, as Nvidia in particular send out beta drivers before they are ready, why I always give it a week and see what issues I find on reddit for each driver

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you dont play game then if it aint broke leave it alone and check for updates every 4-6months will be enough.
Not sure I agree with this these days, this was relevant back in the early XP days before systems were always online and updates were sent out in DVDs every once in a while in service packs, but it's not so relevant these days.

Often driver updates are done to keep compatibility with a recent windows update, or due to a security risk that's been addressed.

The old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I find actually leads to problems arising due to incompatibility that become very challenging to troubleshoot.

Since XP SP3 I've applied any updates when they're available and rarely have an issue.