Nvidia GTX 880M Disappeared off my laptop?

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Hey everyone, so I've had my new laptop for about a month now and I've had no problems up until tonight when I noticed my games were running on quite low fps (around 10-20 on all settings) when the laptop usually runs games at around 60 on max settings. When I decided to open a game that let me choose a display adapter, I discovered that my laptop is running off of Intel graphics. Then, I tried to find my card in the device manager (which was there previously) and it's not there...it's like it disappeared off my laptop.

I also discovered that when I try to open any of my Nvidia programs such as the GeForce Experience, they don't open and/or crash. Nvidia System Monitor just crashes as soon as I click on it, GeForce Experience comes up with the error message "GeForce Experience encountered an error and must close" and Nvidia Performance doesn't do anything when clicked on. I also tried to gain access to the Nvidia Control Panel from my desktop but it has been replaced with the Intel graphics control panel instead and when I searched for it and found it, it wouldn't open in the same way the Nvidia Performance wouldn't.

I originally suspected NVIDIA® Optimus, however I highly doubt they would have created the software in such a way that when it switches to the Intel card, that it makes all other Nvidia-related programs crash and/or disappear, so I ruled that out.

Does anyone know why my laptop has decided to suddenly run off of Intel graphics and to make my graphics card disappear? Thanks.

NOTE: I did search around to find this was a common problem and that one of the common symptoms was having a blue screen whilst the nvidia card is being used as well as the fact that some of the other sufferers of this problem just found that their computer recognized it once again after a couple of days to a week as a standard VGA card and after installing the latest drivers from the Nvidia site, the card was once again recognized. This may be the only solution and if it does work as previously stated, then i'll let you all know.

Last edited:

daveeb

Enthusiast
Sounds like the nvidia drivers have become corrupt. Have you looked in event manager to confirm this. I'd get the latest nvidia driver and install that.

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, so I checked today and what do you know, it's decided to reappear on my device manager and all the nvidia programs are opening as normal, thanks for your help :p