Nvidia showing at GTC

Everon

Enthusiast
Last edited:
So no news on the consumer editions of the Pascal cards from what i can see. Will they mention anything about them later in the conference or is it still just a waiting game? I'm waiting to order a new VR gaming rig but if they arent going to be releasing the new consumer cards in the next couple of months i'll just get the GTX 980 Ti now.

Spuff

Expert
It's been suggested that NVIDIA will launch the consumer version of Pascal at Computex which is on 31 May to 4 June (presentations 31 May to 1 June).
It would be a surprise if they revealed them at GTC, which is what they are at now, that sort of launch wouldn't fit in with the ethos of the conference.

Vive will only start shipping in May, and you won't get an Oculus until at least July now (not really a bad thing I think as it will give the software time to mature a bit).

Last edited:

stegor

Bright Spark
The general consensus on the forums (anandtech, tomshardware et al) is that there will be no consumer Pascal this year. Q1 '17 at the earliest. Assuming this will be a 'Titan' class then mainstream Pascal (e.g GTX970 replacement) will probably be summer '17.

Spuff

Expert
The general consensus on the forums (anandtech, tomshardware et al) is that there will be no consumer Pascal this year. Q1 '17 at the earliest. Assuming this will be a 'Titan' class then mainstream Pascal (e.g GTX970 replacement) will probably be summer '17.

What do they base that on?
The Tesla P100 which NVIDIA have revealed at GTC would be the first of a new architecture to be released, but that model is relevant to the GTC conference, whereas the gaming suitable ones are not, and the Tesla isn't even branded along with Pascal.
AMD Polaris looks to be on course for 2016, and will be very interesting. Can NVIDIA afford to give that unchallenged months in the market during which it may perhaps sway loyalties?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
gh
so the GTX 1080 may replace the GTX 980? I would have expected the GTX 1080 to be significantly better than the gtx 980 ti

Performance wise it's going to be a big jump, it's weather they price/performance wise or just slot them in in their current price brackets regardless of the performance leap I think.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Performance wise it's going to be a big jump, it's weather they price/performance wise or just slot them in in their current price brackets regardless of the performance leap I think.

when you say big jump, is this gaming wise? I just hope it is not mainly assess on power consumption or other bits not gaming related

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
when you say big jump, is this gaming wise? I just hope it is not mainly assess on power consumption or other bits not gaming related

From what I've read, there's a significant increase of Cuda cores per chip, so yes, it's going to be a leap for gaming.

Plus, the new 16nm process allows for 2x performance per watt over 900 series cards, don't know how that translates in real world, but sounds promising.

Apparently, the overclocking possibilities are going to be huge also, not that I've personally ever found a need to overclock graphics, but again could be interesting.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
From what I've read, there's a significant increase of Cuda cores per chip, so yes, it's going to be a leap for gaming.

Plus, the new 16nm process allows for 2x performance per watt over 900 series cards, don't know how that translates in real world, but sounds promising.

Apparently, the overclocking possibilities are going to be huge also, not that I've personally ever found a need to overclock graphics, but again could be interesting.

well announcement next week, hopefully is a big jump and worth the wait for the upgrade

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Touch wood. Are you gonna wait for the announcement before ordering your watercooled system?

yes, I also need to wait for more options available. Got feedback in the forum and by email that they are still testing the liquid series systems and more options like higher CPU overclocks and GPU overclocks may be available. I think it would be a waste to have a liquid cooled system without it being fully overclocked. On the other hand it may just be end up behind the tv :) just to play games with a game controller.

andymacis

I was thinking about getting the Octane II Pro - does anyone have any idea if the GTX 980 in that laptop would be upgradeable to this new card? I really like the idea that I could order my laptop now and get stuck into some first class gaming, while waiting until the bugs are ironed out for the new card then upgrade at my leisure sometime in the future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was thinking about getting the Octane II Pro - does anyone have any idea if the GTX 980 in that laptop would be upgradeable to this new card? I really like the idea that I could order my laptop now and get stuck into some first class gaming, while waiting until the bugs are ironed out for the new card then upgrade at my leisure sometime in the future.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Graphics upgrades on laptops are incredibly expensive, we're talking around £600 for a gtx980m in mxm format, and these are only available when the mxm card fits the chassis you're upgrading.

I would say it's highly unlikely the new format cards will be the same as the current generation, and they'll be near the £1000 mark when they are available.

Then you have to have a compatible bios to run the card anyway which clevo won't release, but PremaMod may well do, but using a PremaMod bios will void any warranty with PCS.

In short, it's not worth it, I'd wait until the new chassis arrive in June/July.

andymacis

Graphics upgrades on laptops are incredibly expensive, we're talking around £600 for a gtx980m in mxm format, and these are only available when the mxm card fits the chassis you're upgrading.

I would say it's highly unlikely the new format cards will be the same as the current generation, and they'll be near the £1000 mark when they are available.

Then you have to have a compatible bios to run the card anyway which clevo won't release, but PremaMod may well do, but using a PremaMod bios will void any warranty with PCS.

In short, it's not worth it, I'd wait until the new chassis arrive in June/July.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I haven't been up to date with technology since I built a PC back in about the year 2000 - it had a cutting edge Voodoo 3DFX card in it!

I had wondered if, with the Octane II Pro having a "desktop" 980, if that meant it was more disposed to swapping it out later but clearly it's not that simple. Is it the case that the chassis is designed with a specific GPU in mind, bearing in mind for example, the heat dissipation?

Then again, it might be that the Octane II Pro in it's current config comes down in price so either way, it's a win!