Octane Gaming - Spec Check!

Thon_Zebra

Hi Everyone,

I am considering one of these Clevo octane builds for gaming, I want to try an attain 80+ fps, 1440p, 144hz, AAA gaming using an external monitor. I plan to use this as a heavy gaming machine and have a budget of £2500.

I9 9900K vs I7 9700K?

Game Examples - Total War + Mods, Hell let loose, Bannerlord, Assassins Creed, Red Dead 2, Elder Scrolls + Mods, Indie/AAA, etc

Thanks for any replies.

Jude

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 3000MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 2 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
If you are still at the considering stage it may be worth waiting to look at the Clevo 17.3" AMD model. There is no date with PCS yet but they are about.

The AMD is a seriously better CPU, plus if you go with an i9-9900K there will be thermal problems and it will most likely have to be under-volted.

The Octane is a great machine, I have an i7-8700K one but since then AMD have really come on and are streets ahead.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above, I'd personally be holding out for a 3800X 17.3" desktop replacement paired with a 2070 for your intended uses.

Other than that, and sticking with the current options, the 9700K is a no-brainer for me. The 9900k is a waste of thermal capacity in that chassis.

Thon_Zebra

Thanks for the reply.

Would you recommend mobile processors for 1440p gaming as opposed to the thicker Clevo chassis?

For example a laptop using an i7-10750H/ i7-9750H with mobile RTX 2080-P/ or Super Max Q.

For Performance at 70+ fps in games like Assassins creed. Dropping to a mix of Ultra/High settings.

For a 'PC gamer' who a lot of the time has to deal with bad optimisations, windows 10 stutters, bugs and early access titles waiting for

updates to optimise and tweak the configs generally ruining the experience and performance expectations on PC a lot of the time anyway.

In your opinion would the Octane for that price tag be overkill for gaming.

In other words would the example laptop mobile processors above 'do the job' with a thinner chassis, versus opting for an i7 9700K?

Is there a peak to where the price doesn't warrant the performance gains in gaming titles aiming for roughly 70+ fps in 1080p/1440p

I was in the need of a laptop sooner. but I have seen the AMD processors and yes they look good and clevo will have a brand new thick chassis for it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
For gaming, there's not any benefit of the Octane over the smaller form factor. It's all to do with the GPU power. If you can get the same performance of GPU in the smaller form factor as in the larger, then you won't have any benefit.

The Octanes come into their own for professional application, rather than gaming.

70FPS at 1440p in a laptop is going to be around the mobile 2070.