octane iii battery life? & 4K led screen?

daydie

Hi all,

How long do your batterys work for unplugged with 16gig ram 2400MHz, 1070 gpu, i7700K

average gaming time & general useage?

-------

Question 2, The 4K LED screen looks awsome but G-Sync doesnt work with it. Im assuming this will basicly make the gfx card work its ass off to convert it?

can you get a 4k screen and adjust the settings to old FHD so it runs G-Sync. (so i have a 4k screen installed for future?)

also isit possible to run games on 1080 GFX card on a 4k screen without any problems?

JDA1982

If you use a GTX1080 you will be able to play games in 4K but because the components require a strong power supply, when you unplug the laptop it throttles the GPU and the gaming performance noticeably drops. I doubt you'll get decent 4K gaming performance without it plugged in. You also don't get long playing games using the battery, it's not really that kind of laptop and that's the trade off for having such powerful components. Mine has an i6700k and a GTX1080, fantastic laptop but there are trade offs.

Last edited:

daydie

ah ok, i will get 4k screen then lol any more people get any feedback on this?

also can i convert to normal reseloution and run with g sync if needed?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ah ok, i will get 4k screen then lol any more people get any feedback on this?

also can i convert to normal reseloution and run with g sync if needed?

The GSYNC is a feature of the screen not the graphics card, the 1080p screen is a GSYNC screen, the 4k panel is a different panel altogether built by a different manufacturer and doesn't have GSYNC. Reducing the resolution doesn't enable GSYNC.

4k gaming on a 1080 will currently get you around 40 - 45 FPS with all settings maxxed out. Obviously as newer games are released you'll have to reduce settings or resolution, but either way it will be capped at 60FPS because of the refresh rate of the screen.

Last edited:

Retron

Silver Level Poster
The GSYNC is a feature of the screen not the graphics card
Technically (for laptops) it's a feature of the drivers, not the screen. All laptop screens can handle G-Sync, it just needs the manufacturer to pay some licensing cash to Nvidia...

Neo

Bronze Level Poster
Battery life of an Octane III - well let's be honest it's not long. I have mine plugged in all the time as there's nothing more frustrating than mid game suddenly getting warnings (usually at a crucial moment). I tried it once and I'd say I got about just over an hour out of it (although I do run in high performance mode all the time even on battery).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
About an hour of gaming, around 2 hours of casual use. You may get slightly more if you're very careful but it won't be much. You won't be playing anything like you do with it plugged in though, as with all high power GPU laptops you don't get anywhere near the same performance off the wall.