Octane III (Clevo P775DM3-G) BIOS update

fejerm

Hey guys!
I have purchased an Octane III (Clevo P775DM3-G) laptop which was shipped with BIOS 1.05.01 and EC 1.05.02.
Since then many new BIOS versions have been released but unfortunately Clevo does not upload them for download and only sends them to the distributors and even amongst them, not all upload them for download and install it during RMA or building.

For those who do not whish to RMA the laptop for a BIOS update, here is the latest version: 1.05.06: [Link removed: As SpyderTracks said talk to PCS about BIOS updates if required, also no links to ZIP files]
The package contains an executable for both dos and windows install. I updated the default PCS bios under Windows 10 64bit and everything went fine .

Unfortunately I don't have release notes for this one, but here are the notes for previous versions:

1. System BIOS 1.05.02 for P75xDM3(-G) and P77xDM3(-G) only.

2. Solve “sometimes can’t identify SD card after S3 resume” problem.

3. Refer to readme.txt to update BIOS.

----------------------

1. System BIOS 1.05.03 for P75xDM3(-G) and P77xDM3(-G) only.

2. Solve “can’t control brightness and G-Sync for NVSR panel” problem.

3. Refer to readme.txt to update BIOS.

This BIOS is for Octane III only!
Update at your own risk!
The boot logo will remain the default "Style Note" logo.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whilst I appreciate you're trying to be helpful, I think it's dangerous to post this so widely available. Updating a custom motherboard isn't the same process as updating an off the shelf laptop or desktop, it's a lot more involved and a lot more dangerous.

Anyone wanting to update the BIOS should contact PCS directly for advice.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I agree 110% with SpyderTracks, your BIOS is not just another bit of software that needs updating every now and then - and in my time I've written a couple of BIOSs so I know very well how they work.

Although it's firmware and can be changed you should view the BIOS as part of the motherboard (which it really is) and be very very cautions about upgrading it. You wouldn't replace a capacitor on your motherboard just because a later model had been produced, neither should you upgrade the BIOS just because a newer version comes out.

You only ever need to consider upgrading the BIOS if you're having problems (some computers require a BIOS upgrade to support Windows 10 for example) or if there is a new feature introduced in the BIOS upgrade which you need (fan control for example). If your BIOS is working ok for you and provides all the features you need then please leave it alone.

I have owned a huge number of computers going right back to the original IBM PC (and actually long before that too) and I've needed to flash the BIOS in only a tiny handful of them, most computers I have ever owned have used the same BIOS throughout their whole life and that's true of 99% of all computers.

If you really do believe that a BIOS upgrade can help (because you have a problem or are missing a feature) then you MUST talk to PCS first (assuming it's a PCS build) because only they know whether the BIOS upgrade is applicable to your particular hardware and whether it will solve the problem you're having. If your computer is under warranty then upgrading the BIOS without talking to PCS will likely invalidate your warranty. Yes, it's that serious.

ubuysa's rule #3: If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Kukks

I agree 110% with SpyderTracks, your BIOS is not just another bit of software that needs updating every now and then - and in my time I've written a couple of BIOSs so I know very well how they work.

Although it's firmware and can be changed you should view the BIOS as part of the motherboard (which it really is) and be very very cautions about upgrading it. You wouldn't replace a capacitor on your motherboard just because a later model had been produced, neither should you upgrade the BIOS just because a newer version comes out.

You only ever need to consider upgrading the BIOS if you're having problems (some computers require a BIOS upgrade to support Windows 10 for example) or if there is a new feature introduced in the BIOS upgrade which you need (fan control for example). If your BIOS is working ok for you and provides all the features you need then please leave it alone.

I have owned a huge number of computers going right back to the original IBM PC (and actually long before that too) and I've needed to flash the BIOS in only a tiny handful of them, most computers I have ever owned have used the same BIOS throughout their whole life and that's true of 99% of all computers.

If you really do believe that a BIOS upgrade can help (because you have a problem or are missing a feature) then you MUST talk to PCS first (assuming it's a PCS build) because only they know whether the BIOS upgrade is applicable to your particular hardware and whether it will solve the problem you're having. If your computer is under warranty then upgrading the BIOS without talking to PCS will likely invalidate your warranty. Yes, it's that serious.

ubuysa's rule #3: If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Thunderbolt 3 does not even work for me on the octane 3 and it has been quite a hassle trying to get a hold of PCS to actually diagnose it since they don't want to remotely access it to debug without making me call overseas to a waiting queue like an idiot and it takes 24 hours per reply for a single sentence on the messaging system. I would not be surprised if this is because of an outdated bios, which should have been PCS' responsibility to ship with the latest available if it is such a dangerous task to do yourself.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thunderbolt 3 does not even work for me on the octane 3 and it has been quite a hassle trying to get a hold of PCS to actually diagnose it since they don't want to remotely access it to debug without making me call overseas to a waiting queue like an idiot and it takes 24 hours per reply for a single sentence on the messaging system. I would not be surprised if this is because of an outdated bios, which should have been PCS' responsibility to ship with the latest available if it is such a dangerous task to do yourself.

It is difficult to call PCS from overseas, I agree but it is the best way to get help fast. PCS are a UK company so it's quite understandable that their systems are set up to service UK customers.

I have no idea whether PCS test the Thunderbolt interface at all, and your problem might be a BIOS issue, but equally it might be a hardware problem. As I mentioned in my post, sometimes it is necessary to upgrade the BIOS but it's most certainly not something you should consider without a valid reason for doing so. In addition, it would be unwise to upgrade the BIOS in the vain hope that it will fix a problem you have.

As far as shipping the latest BIOS is concerned I'm afraid I disagree, they only need to ship a BIOS version that works with the installed hardware. Actually you're better of with a back-level BIOS because it's been tested by thousands (millions?) of people for many thousands of hours, the latest BIOS in contrast many only have been tested by a few hundred people for a few hundred hours.