Octane lll Duelboot ?

Noesis

Hi,

I got a Octane lll which is fully loaded well almost.
I have attached screen shots of my build of hardware and my disk management window.
My main disk is disk 0 with Win 10 Pro installed and disk 1 is where all my games are installed on.
Disk 0 is SSD and Disk 1 is normal.

I would like to install a Linux OS on Disk 0 by shrinking it down so Linux has 100GB but I am not sure if it will effect the SSD drive ? "I mean like using swap on a SSD drive will kill it quickly"
Also there are already many partitions on Disk 0 now and with newer versions of windows unlike older versions and I remember there was something about a max of 4 partitions back in the beginning of Win 7 days when I last use to dual boot win and Linux.

I have understood with win 8 and 10 we need to have UFEI or something activated which my bois already has so I hope someone kind enough to dumb a clarification down for me ?

I have a usb thumb drive ready with Ubuntu 17 on it ready to be installed.
Octane lll - 3.PNGOctane lll - 2.PNGOctane lll - 1.PNG

Stephen M

Author Level
Not sure about the number of partitions as i do not use Windows at all but do not think the swap or anything else will damage the SSD, they have come on a long way in the last few years. If you are going with Ubuntu 17 that should be fine with UEFI activated, the automatic installer will also let you choose the Ubuntu partition size.

What are your other uses, with that much RAM I am guessing it may involve video work or music production, if it is music one of the low latency Linux Studio distros would be better.

Last edited:

Yardem

Silver Level Poster
Why do you want to install Linux?
If you only want to fiddle with it on a part-time basis, you're better off installing it inside a Virtual Machine, like VirtualBox.