Octane VI 17.3" CPU and GFX profile tweaking

debiruman665

Enthusiast
While I've been waiting I've probably exhausted every video/review/article about having a laptop with an i9-9900k and an rtx 2080. I chose the 1080p screen as I didnt really think there is any visible difference with such a small screen but leave myself open to having it run on an external monitor at 4k if I wished.

I'm a software developer by trade and although the i9-9900k is probably overkill for my needs I must admit, by the time i was ready to sink in nearly 2.5k into a laptop, to not just go 'all out' seemed to be a drop in the ocean when I could grow my e-phallus to maximum size and be able to claim I have one of the most power consumer laptops on the market. It will also (hopefully) allow me to have a pristine OS that allows me to run Ubuntu in a VM and use that for all my day to day needs and save the native OS entirely for gaming.

I also opted for the 3000MHz memory that after calling PCS the guy on the phone told me they dont sell higher than 16GB for the reason that it wont be stable. So theres no room for increasing that in the future. Again chosen for gaming as a priority rather than having a larger capacity of slower ram.

Now I have seen and read many conflicting points of view on my choices. I'm interested in trying to create a couple of different settings profiles to fit a different bunch of usage cases. I'll outline some ideas I have. I am very welcoming of feedback and would greatly appreciate if someone could forwarn me if I planned on doing something dumb that would void my warranty. I'm also a complete noob to over/underclocking so I'm only probably going to stick within the confines of XTU and maybe MSI afterburner.

1. Driving the kids to school in a ferrari mode.

I've seen some people commenting on the i9 is very power efficient at low clocks. I sort of guess this would be a similar analogy to that high end sports cars are a lot more fuel efficient at low speeds when compared to domestic models. My aim is to have the GPU off, and have the processors running a lot slower and cooler, and have the RAM running at XMP 1. The goal is to have the laptop able to run code editors and see if I can get some coding done on a long train journey without killing the battery.

2. Multicore Gore

No GPU on, but with the assumption of the shared heatsink I can use both fans to cool the CPU. THe goal is to get the multicore all running in hyperthreaded mode as fast as possible. Would be used for batch jobs on log files that can get into the gigabytes. On my current i5 these tasks can take hours.

3. 4x gaming, older games

I still love a long weekend game of Civ five with some mates. I'd like to host and have the graphics card on but not drawing too much power since the game could probably run entirely on the integrated graphics (maybe that would be better???) With less power draw and heat from the RTX would I be able to give the i9 the full power draw to boost for longer than the 28 seconds? I dont think these games utilise multiple cores despite being processor intensive as everything is pretty much turn based and sequential in nature

4. Stock gaming

Playing new AAA games at higher resolutions will be a bit of a novelty for me but I am assuming this is probably how the default profile is already configured. I'll probably attempt at undervolting despite this.

Absolutely looking forward to criticism, feedback, sanity checks, and stern lectures.