Octane VI high temps

zeeqon

Hello,

My new beast just got to me yesterday, spec:

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

I installed drivers, CC, and all that, all is working fine, had a few problems with some of the drivers but it's because of the Nvidia's latest driver not because of the laptop.

The only problem I have is that it seems not normal to me that the processor is running betwen 66°C and 90°C when I'm only downloading games and doing nothing else. I was wondering if that is normal for this processor or if there is something wrong with my cooling.

Also it came with a small scrach under the touchpad, but that does not bother me that much.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello,

My new beast just got to me yesterday, spec:

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

I installed drivers, CC, and all that, all is working fine, had a few problems with some of the drivers but it's because of the Nvidia's latest driver not because of the laptop.

The only problem I have is that it seems not normal to me that the processor is running betwen 66°C and 90°C when I'm only downloading games and doing nothing else. I was wondering if that is normal for this processor or if there is something wrong with my cooling.

Also it came with a small scrach under the touchpad, but that does not bother me that much.

Did you buy it with Windows pre-installed? If so, why was it necessary to install drivers, they would have been pre-installed for you.

What are the temperatures when it's sitting idle for ten minutes or so?

zeeqon

I did not buy it with Windows pre-installed as I had a Windows 10 Pro key already. 70-80°C for the processor 40-50°C graphics card. I also had the better thermal paste selected, I did not let the default one.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I did not buy it with Windows pre-installed as I had a Windows 10 Pro key already. 70-80°C for the processor 40-50°C graphics card. I also had the better thermal paste selected, I did not let the default one.

If you're seeing 70 - 80 C when idle that's way too high. You should give PCS a call (phone don't email) first thing Monday and talk it over with them.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Is it still 70-80 degrees when not downloading games?

When downloading games, what is the CPU usage at in task manager?

Some games when being downloaded do cause very high CPU usage - I'm not sure why, I guess the game data needs to be decompressed or something...

zeeqon

Thanks, I was downloading a game indeed, however when I'm not downloading anything, when the CPU is about 10-15% I get 60-70°C. Thanks you both Ubusya and Oussebon. I think I will have to give them a call on Monday.

zeeqon

I installed a game now and the temp went up to 96°C... I don't think this is normal or healthy for the machine.

Eyek

I have an i7 8750h in my laptop and I am running around the same temperatures. I think its just poorly applied thermal paste and a badly seated heat sink in the laptop.

RMA picking happening tomorrow. I must say PCS mentions that they are doing vigorous testing before sending out the laptop? That really does not seem to be the case as these temperature issues would have been picked up.

jondeg

I would definitely contact them and inform them about the issue, I'm sure they will be able to sort you out.

zeeqon

The laptop is curently in RMA, I will update this post when it gets back to me. At the moment I am very confident that they will fix it and return it to me working properly.