Octane VI Temperatures ?

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,
I'm planning on buying the 15.6" Octane VI with a i9-9900K, RTX 2080 and 32GB of RAM.
This is quite an expensive purchase and I want to make sure my money won't be wasted.

I do mostly computer-assisted music, video editing and a little bit of graphic design. I also want to use it for gaming.
My question is : how are the temps going to be like with this Clevo P751TM1-G chassis ?
Am I looking at +90°C and throttling everywhere or is it relatively cool for such a powerful machine ?

I'm really drawn to this computer but can't click the buy button just yet because I'm extremely worried about the temperatures for this kind of usage.
Can anyone tell me more about this ? I can't really find much on the internet..

Would really appreciate that, thank you !

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
For any sort of professional work where your business relies on the system I would never recommend a laptop as the primary system.

I don't think the 9900k pairs well with the 2080 with temps in mind. It should do fine for benchmarks and even individual stress tests, but play GTAV with maxed out settings for a couple of hours will see you coming away with a nice tan.

The system is designed with this in mind, and thus will power limit and throttle where necessary to bring the temps below critical and stop anything from breaking, but this sort of sustained use would not be something I would rely on for my profession.

I would highly recommend building a workstation if you can, with a lesser spec laptop for casual editing/gaming/etc.

If this isn't something you can acommodate then I would probably consider the 9900k paired with a 2060 or 2070. Both cards are gaming monsters for 1080p and will be for a considerable time. All of the family above the 2060 will offer acceleration for any visual productions you are doing but it's unlikely that you will see any huge gains from a 2080 over a 2060 in this sort of situation so it would be wasted.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Hey there, thanks for your reply :)
I was also thinking about building myself a new workstation a few months back but since I'm on the move pretty often, I really wanted a portable workstation with desktop grade components that I could use for at least 5 years or more without any issues.
I know a desktop PC would be much better at cooling these powerful components but I need to be mobile and I wouldn't be able to do that with a big case and a screen. Since I recently found you could actually build your own laptop with the components of your choice, that sounded like a good compromise for me.

As for the choice of RTX 2080, it's really only because it's 30$ more expensive than a 2070 on the configurator, and also because I'm thinking about future-proofing (since MXM cards are a pain to upgrade).
I'm not planning on overclocking anything like a crazy person or running stress tests and benchmarks to prove myself I have a powerful laptop, I already know what's inside. If anything, I might just work at stock settings or just with a mild overclock if needed.

I just want a very powerful machine that will sustain every workload I throw at it without twitching, especially in music production.
That's pretty much why these components seemed like the best choice I could get for the money.
But with all this in mind, you're pretty confident it will overheat/thermal throttle regardless ? That's really my only concern.

Thank you !

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It will underclock itself, never mind overclock :)

It won't overheat per-se, it will keep it's temperatures under the maximum threshold by power throttling and thermal throttling. The power throttle is built in by default and cannot be changed, the thermal throttling can be brought a little under control by lowering the voltage on the chip. A -100mv undervolt is not uncommon, even -150mv can be achieved at stock settings..... which makes a surprising difference to the thermals.

My point re benchmarking was more to point out that this is where the machines would fare best. They are only under stress for short bursts of time, unlike real-world heavy duty processing.

There's no doubt that the Octane with the 9900k and 2080 is the most powerful laptop. It doesn't make it the most effective solution though.

I would be more inclined to use the circa £2500 budget on a desktop AND a laptop.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
At full throttle, you are looking at 16 threads at 100% running at 4.6GHz.
it's up to you if losing 400Mhz is a big enough deal.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
At full throttle, you are looking at 16 threads at 100% running at 4.6GHz.
it's up to you if losing 400Mhz is a big enough deal.

Have you got any evidence of this at a sustained load? All evidence I have seen shows 4.2Ghz on fairly light benches. Some drop as low as 4ghz.

4.6Ghz is the desktop CPU with 120W running through it. It drops off, even on the desktop, if the load is sustained. I've OCd my desktop to push 5ghz across all cores and it's 170w at full chat.

There's no way you could Prime 95 a 9900k at 85w on a laptop (or whatever the limitation is) and manage 4.6GHz on 16 threads.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
A lot of people on the internet recommended an undervolt on the 9900K, so that's what I would probably do first off.
Just to be clear, power throttle is the incapacity of those chips to reach their real desktop potential due to limited space and cooling right ? I've seen a few reviews stating that neither the 9900K nor the RTX 2080 could reach their full potential inside a laptop without starting to throttle and overheat, which makes sense I guess. As for thermal throttle like you said can be fixed with undervolting and tweaking a few things (repasting could be a thing as well I imagine).

I agree with your solution of using this budget to buy both, it would make perfect sense if I was sitting at a desk everyday and that's probably what I would've done. But since I move around pretty regularly, I could really use that power in my pocket so to speak. I'm also not sure about buying a less powerful laptop than I currently have.

I do have a desktop PC right now and it's fair to say I really rarely use it.. if not at all. So I feel like it would be a waste to build a new one in that regard. I'm constantly using a laptop for everything and I like the fact I can carry it around places with no worries about size and transport.

Also like I said, I'm not really planning on trying to reach insane clock speeds if it has the potential to damage my machine and reduce its life expectancy. As for the maximum clock speed value, it really depends on the lottery I guess.

So guys, do you think I can work on big music projects with this one ? Am I going to encounter thermal issues at all ?
My current MSI laptop does the job quite well with an i7-6700HQ but shows its limits. I've never had any thermal issues with this one though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A lot of people on the internet recommended an undervolt on the 9900K, so that's what I would probably do first off.
Just to be clear, power throttle is the incapacity of those chips to reach their real desktop potential due to limited space and cooling right ? I've seen a few reviews stating that neither the 9900K nor the RTX 2080 could reach their full potential inside a laptop without starting to throttle and overheat, which makes sense I guess. As for thermal throttle like you said can be fixed with undervolting and tweaking a few things (repasting could be a thing as well I imagine).

I agree with your solution of using this budget to buy both, it would make perfect sense if I was sitting at a desk everyday and that's probably what I would've done. But since I move around pretty regularly, I could really use that power in my pocket so to speak. I'm also not sure about buying a less powerful laptop than I currently have.

I do have a desktop PC right now and it's fair to say I really rarely use it.. if not at all. So I feel like it would be a waste to build a new one in that regard. I'm constantly using a laptop for everything and I like the fact I can carry it around places with no worries about size and transport.

Also like I said, I'm not really planning on trying to reach insane clock speeds if it has the potential to damage my machine and reduce its life expectancy. As for the maximum clock speed value, it really depends on the lottery I guess.

So guys, do you think I can work on big music projects with this one ? Am I going to encounter thermal issues at all ?
My current MSI laptop does the job quite well with an i7-6700HQ but shows its limits. I've never had any thermal issues with this one though.
the RTX 2080 in any laptop is a laptop version, it's not the same as the desktop version, has lower clocks for one thing. So performance wouldn't be expected to be anywhere near the same on a laptop. The GPU shouldn't suffer from thermal throttling, unless you're expected desktop performance and overclocking it to desktop clocks.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Yep, for the graphics I was aware of that. MXM modules will always be less powerful than a full fledged video card.
That being said I think I'll be more than happy with stock clocks even without OC.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep, for the graphics I was aware of that. MXM modules will always be less powerful than a full fledged video card.
That being said I think I'll be more than happy with stock clocks even without OC.
I think CPU wise, the ONLY option with the i9's and even i7's is to undervolt, that's even on the mobile processors. I'm just not a fan of the current intel chips at all on mobile, just don't think they can actually achieve the clocks they say without thermal throttling. Intel's only advice on the subject was that they're "designed to thermal throttle" which is completely and utterly unacceptable imho and they should be up in court for producing products that don't achieve what they promised to.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you really want to stick with the octane I would drop the gpu down. To be honest I would go for the 2060. That way, no matter what you're doing, the cpu is getting the maximum cooling potential.

I have a 6700k, delided, undervolter and with liquid metal. I have the 1080, also with liquid metal. My system still gets really toasty on full chat.

That's 4 cores, 8 threads, running 4.3ghz on a 95w limit. The 1080 has 185w running through it at full chat. The heatsink has its work cut out no matter what way you slice it 😁

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Have you got any evidence of this at a sustained load? All evidence I have seen shows 4.2Ghz on fairly light benches. Some drop as low as 4ghz.

4.6Ghz is the desktop CPU with 120W running through it. It drops off, even on the desktop, if the load is sustained. I've OCd my desktop to push 5ghz across all cores and it's 170w at full chat.

There's no way you could Prime 95 a 9900k at 85w on a laptop (or whatever the limitation is) and manage 4.6GHz on 16 threads.

Sorry you are correct, thanks for correcting me there, I was thinking about the gaming speeds from memory. 4.2Ghz is indeed the peak at full throttle.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
The laptop has been ordered, I'll update this thread when I receive it and start doing some tweaking on it.
Apparently, undervolting and OCing the CPU alone could improve temps by quite a lot, which is a good thing.
I'll let you know when I know more :)
Thank you for all your answers btw.

ExistedName

I ordered my octane VI 2 days ago .... i7 9700 + rtx 2080 .
I was able to manage overheating problems on my aw m15 r2 using core voltage offset ( i7 9750h + gtx 2070 mq ) . Problem started when I had to do that all the time when I switched on that damn aw. So I send it back and ended up here . Thx God .
With the octane VI will be much more easy because the core voltage offset can be set it up in the bios .