Oculus Rift

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I had to buy a minidp to dp cable as my HDMI is used for the TV. The socket is there on the Vive but not the cable. You need to mount the 2 Base stations, I have one screwed to the wall and one on a mini tripod on top of a cabinet. You need power near each Base station and for the link box. I use my USB multi charger for the handsets instead of the supplied ones. You can watch movies in the steam theatre but I purchased virtual desktop which allows me to resize, curve and move my screen around to play standard games and movies.

Powering the 2 base stations in the living room will be a hassle and may require an electrician for me.

jerpers

Master
They are set in 2 diagonal corners of the room. Luckily I had sockets in both corners of mine. You can always run extensions I suppose.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
They are set in 2 diagonal corners of the room. Luckily I had sockets in both corners of mine. You can always run extensions I suppose.

got dogs, need to hide cables. Might as well wait for the general release

jerpers

Master
Year, I would wait now if I were you. Should be able to try out both in more stores in the next few months. Since you are waiting for your new beast of a PC anyway it makes more sense. I am very much OCD regarding cables with my speaker cables under the floor and all my PC to sound and TV connections hidden behind my TV unit. I do use some D-Line trunking which is very nice and simple around skirting boards to hide some of the other cables.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm sure it would be worth it, I am really tempted but the price is a little above what I would be willing to pay, and I really think the Oculus would be a downgrade in comparison. I've used Google Cardboard and while only simple, I was still amazed by some of the demos. The biggest problem with it for me is actually the drift, I watch a video and it slowly turns even when I'm not.

I think the Vive 2 will probably be around by the time I am willing to pay that much. And I'll probably have a GTX 1580 Ti to go with it :D

Spuff

Expert
''It turns out that, once the Touch controllers are released, the systems become nearly identical...
The whole differences between the systems thing? They are slightly different," Andy Moore, one of the developers working on Fantastic Contraption, told Polygon... "But if you were to blindfold me and change the controller model or whatever and ask me to guess which system I'm using, I probably wouldn't be able to tell all that easily."
''on the Oculus you can move one of the cameras to the back corner and get room scale."
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/12/11414090/oculus-rift-htc-vive-fantastic-contraption

''The Oculus weighs 470g with headphones, where the Vive weighs 555g without headphones. That may not sound like much, but it is. I had no issues playing on the Rift for hours at a time; but I’ve found my neck straining following extended sessions with the Vive and headphones.''
''their experiences are different. The Vive’s is the more impressive, when it works well, but I keep being drawn to the Oculus Rift for a proper evening of gaming.''
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive#uOtYUS74sZJmBEMm.99

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Year, I would wait now if I were you. Should be able to try out both in more stores in the next few months. Since you are waiting for your new beast of a PC anyway it makes more sense. I am very much OCD regarding cables with my speaker cables under the floor and all my PC to sound and TV connections hidden behind my TV unit. I do use some D-Line trunking which is very nice and simple around skirting boards to hide some of the other cables.

How big is your living room?

jerpers

Master
I have just moved my sofa out today to demo to family. With no sofa it is 4m x 3.8m. Normally I have it set up with 3.8m x 2.5m of space.