Oculus vr sold to Facebook

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Damn, I was considering a devkit until now. If Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo or even EA had bought it, I'd have much preferred it to this. At least EA is a gaming company. Well RIP Occulus Rift, here's to the next attempt at VR

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
The thing that really gets to me about this sort of thing, is why don't companies like Oculus want to BE Facebook/Google/MS/Apple?

Why do they "sell out" the first chance they get, instead of being their own company and making it big on their own?

FB/MS/Apple/EA etc all did just that. Sure it is more complex than that, and there are acquisitions along the way, but it just seems to be an extension of modern culture (particularly kids...which apparently all these tech starts ups are run by) where it is all about getting as much as possible, as quickly as possible :(

I am almost 100% sure Oculus could have secured more and more investment from other sources without having to actually sell the business. Yes, the guys that own it are now megarich, good for them, but there is no way in hell the development will now be the same. Here we go Virtual Candy Crush! (It is sad that that statement can even exist!)

DED

Outerarm

Hmm... I am still looking forward to the commercial edition of Oculus along with EVE Valkyrie, but I'll wait and see how this pans out. Is it a sell-out or a way to fund the next development phase? Are we looking at a (god forbid) VR Second Life?

I'll carry on watching this with interest...

Bsrz

Rising Star
The Last thing I want is a virtual Friends list, along side virtual farmville with virtual advertisements.

RIP RIFT.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm... I am still looking forward to the commercial edition of Oculus along with EVE Valkyrie, but I'll wait and see how this pans out. Is it a sell-out or a way to fund the next development phase? Are we looking at a (god forbid) VR Second Life?

I'll carry on watching this with interest...

I think the last few years have proved that you don't need to go to FB and the like to get funding (not suggesting Kickstarter here...they are sort of past that), so that when people do, it does just smack of selling out without much consideration of the product's future.

Be funny if, as some people still think, FB etc become irrelevant in even the medium term...maybe they sold out to the wrong people :D

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I still don't "get" Minecraft, but credit to Notch for sticking to his own morals and beliefs :) As Wozz said earlier, at least if some evil Megecorp like EA had bought OR, there would be a gaming pedigree there.