Odd random noise

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Hi all, needing a bit of trouble shooting here?

okay so recently i have been getting an increasingly common problem where i get a noise that comes really quite loudly from my pc at close and repetitive times. I am almost certain that it is an issue from a fan, and am worried as i am relatively sure that its the PSU fan :( anyone able to shed light or suggest a fix, it seems to be completely random.

Not that detailed a description i know, but if you need more info just ask :)

thanks any help is very much appreciated.

baron75mk2

Banned
Does the noise happen when your gaming ? & on the desktop there is no noise , does the noiseses pitch alter depending on what your looking at in game ? or is it a random noise that just hppens when it wants to ?

calduf

Silver Level Poster
hi, thanks for replying. The noise can happen at any time randomly it doesn't seem to matter if its in-game or at the desktop, and nope the pitch doesn't alter, it just seems to 'pulse' with intensity of the rpm as far as i can tell rather than pitch.

donegal

Bronze Level Poster
I don't suppose this will help much, but any odd random noises in my house it's usually the missus.... :tt2:

calduf

Silver Level Poster
thanks tom :)
gonna try them later on today.

the spec is:
processor: AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 processor (4 cores + logical processors 3.2 ghz)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 550ti 1gb gddr5
Ram: 4gb samsung
mobo: asus m5a78l-m/usb3
hdd: 2tb caviar green
PSU: 450W QUIET 80 PLUS DUAL RAIL PSU + 120MM CASE FAN

think that about does it? any ideas?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
what case have you got?

It would be easy to rule out the case fans.

I think the best thing you could do is, remove the side panel have a listen to the psu.

it may be that the psu may be quite warm, so the fan is ramping up to keep things cool.

calduf

Silver Level Poster
I have the black enigma micro atx case, already had it opened up and listened, it is definitely the psu, from hearing it, and can visibly see the difference in rpm, i dont think it is overheating, because i can feel any heat coming from it, and it sometimes happens right from start up.