Odd USB 3.0 port behaviour

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Have you reformatted the drive itself? Could be a formatting issue within the drive. if you could get a 2nd usb3 drive to test it out, from a friend would be ideal, you can rule in/out an issue with the device. The other option is take the drive to a friend with a usb3 connection and test it that way.

Did you install the chipset drives yes?

You can also try the following to do a clean installation of the drivers.

search your computer for 'device manager'
open 'universal serial bus controllers'
Locate the usb chipset drivers and open them
Go to the drivers tab and select uninstall
restart the system and see if windows installs any driver for it, try your device with a large file transfer at this stage.
if it doesn't work then go and install the updated drivers again.

It sounds like a device issue now I think about it, could even be damaged USB connector on the device itself. Have you at any point possibly unplugged it without properly ejecting the drive? Just doing through a troubleshooting process in my head so forgive me if its a little bit random, out of sequence...

best bet if the above doesn't work is to try it on a different computer or a different usb3 device on you computer, that's all I got at the moment.

louisb

Thanks, Mantadog. I've also been through a similar process of elimination and now have reached the conclusion that it is a drive (as opposed to driver) problem.

You are right that the cable itself does not seem perfect. At the PC end it fits perfectly but at the drive end it does not fit fully in and has not since I unpacked it last week. Makes me suspicious.

Fortunately, I bought it from Amazon and they are good about accepting returns. I'll send it back and in fact invest in the larger 1TB drive I fancied. If that does not work, it will go back as well and I'll have to conclude at that point it is the PC.

Thanks again for the advice, very helpful indeed.

LouisB

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
well let me know how you get on, I would be putting the blame on the drive myself. Certainly going to find out one way or the other with a dew device.