Old PC disposal

Hi Guys

getting round to the stage where I’m thinking of getting a new PC to run FS2020. My existing rig was bought from PCS back in 2011 and, touch wood, has given me virtually no issues in all that time and still runs FSX to a good standard. Says a lot for the quality of PCS comps.

Anyway my question is, what to do with my old PC, particularly a couple of bits that might still be useful. In 2011 I chose a high end cooler master case and have just recently bought a new my HDD and cloned it over as my primary drive. Whilst I will no doubt get an SSD in my new PC, the 1TB HDD will be good as a storage drive and the case still looks as good as new.

Do PCS do a disposal service and is there any way to get the case and HDD used in my new rig? I’m assuming prob best just to start completely afresh but thought I’d ask.

thanks
Donald

thanks that’s really helpful. I’ll check out the option re using existing case but won’t save me all the much and it is 9 years old so doesn’t owe me anything.

Thats good to know about the HDD. Think I’ll defo go down the SSD route as my main drive but can use this as a backup/ storage.

Just waiting for an indication on the FS2020 release date and I’ll be back with request for advice on a spec. Can’t wait.

thanks again
donald

stevegardner630

A more mundane question.
If my old kit (I have 3 PC's still complete but way outdated (2005 onward!), or failed. I doubt there is anything worthwhile to be salvaged. As I can't even power up 2 of these up any more, apart from a hammer, is a secure way to wipe all data off a hard drive, and will local authorities take away old PCs? Any experience of the latter?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A more mundane question.
If my old kit (I have 3 PC's still complete but way outdated (2005 onward!), or failed. I doubt there is anything worthwhile to be salvaged. As I can't even power up 2 of these up any more, apart from a hammer, is a secure way to wipe all data off a hard drive, and will local authorities take away old PCs? Any experience of the latter?
To securely wipe data, you can either attach them to your new computer when it arrives and run a secure erase with CCleaner:

That will do an industry standard data wipe and set everything to zero.

If it's an older non-SATA drive that won't fit in the new PC, then I would personally unscrew the thing and then scratch the platter just to be completely sure it's not recoverable.

Best way of disposing of old pc's or components is at a local dump, they'll take them.

slimbob

Enthusiast
To securely wipe data, you can either attach them to your new computer when it arrives and run a secure erase with CCleaner:

That will do an industry standard data wipe and set everything to zero.

If it's an older non-SATA drive that won't fit in the new PC, then I would personally unscrew the thing and then scratch the platter just to be completely sure it's not recoverable.

Best way of disposing of old pc's or components is at a local dump, they'll take them.

Hi Spyder,:)

Hope you are having a great weekend.

I have CCleaner and see under "Tools" there is "Drive Wiper" is that what you use to wipe a hard drive before you sell it or give it away? I use to use Windows built in drive format tool but then a friend mentioned using DBAN. It's funny because I have been using CCleaner for years and I never realised it had that feature, Thank you.

I also see it also has a program uninstall tool do you use this tool or do you stick to Windows 10's own in built tool to uninstall unwanted software?

I have noticed online articles recently saying CCleaner is now not safe and can carry malware? But it has been recommended for years as a good solid safe free tool. Have you experienced any problems recently using it and do you still use it on a regular basis? I realise you can't believe everything you read online so the PCS forum is my go to place for advice!!

Thank you. :)