One long beep 3 short beeps

Lawbur

My pc arrived just under a week ago and 2 days ago it started making one long beep and 3 short beeps every time I start it up. Everything seems to be working ok as far as I can tell but I’m hearing it could be a ram or gpu related issue which is a bit concerning for a pc I’ve had less than a week. Here is my spec

Lawbur

My spec didn’t seem to post the first time so here it is again
Case FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting50cm Blue LED Strip
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 50cm ARGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareMicrosoft® Office Home & Student 2019 (1 Digital License)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Surge Protection6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Warranty3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 16 to 19 working days

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My pc arrived just under a week ago and 2 days ago it started making one long beep and 3 short beeps every time I start it up. Everything seems to be working ok as far as I can tell but I’m hearing it could be a ram or gpu related issue which is a bit concerning for a pc I’ve had less than a week. Here is my spec
Yeah that sounds like a either the RAM or the GPU could use reseating. If you pop open the side of the case and just take the RAM and GPU out and reseat them into the motherboard it will likely solve this

It's quite simple to do if you have a quick look at a youtube video or two you'll see it's a fairly easy task. Things often come unseated during transport it's a fairly common occurrence

Rakk

The Awesome
Is it booting up fine despite the beeps?
If so, is your monitor by chance not turned on when you boot up the machine? It's an ASUS "feature" for some of their boards if it cant find the monitor when you boot up then it throws error beeps at you (no, I do not know why they thought that would be a good idea)

Lawbur

Is it booting up fine despite the beeps?
If so, is your monitor by chance not turned on when you boot up the machine? It's an ASUS "feature" for some of their boards if it cant find the monitor when you boot up then it throws error beeps at you (no, I do not know why they thought that would be a good idea)
I’ll try again later and make sure to turn the monitor on first. Thanks!

Lawbur

Yeah that sounds like a either the RAM or the GPU could use reseating. If you pop open the side of the case and just take the RAM and GPU out and reseat them into the motherboard it will likely solve this

It's quite simple to do if you have a quick look at a youtube video or two you'll see it's a fairly easy task. Things often come unseated during transport it's a fairly common occurrence
Thanks I’ll try that. I was lucky enough to get a 3060 ti for normal price so I’ll put that in when it comes and remove and replace the ram. Hopefully that sorts out everything

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks I’ll try that. I was lucky enough to get a 3060 ti for normal price so I’ll put that in when it comes and remove and replace the ram. Hopefully that sorts out everything
It's likely just the false no gpu beeps from the motherboard, I wouldn't go messing with anything, just power on your monitor before powering on the machine, if that addresses it, just switch the cable to DP or HDMI whichever one it currently isn't and that should fix it permanently.

Lawbur

It's likely just the false no gpu beeps from the motherboard, I wouldn't go messing with anything, just power on your monitor before powering on the machine, if that addresses it, just switch the cable to DP or HDMI whichever one it currently isn't and that should fix it permanently.
So I should change gpu when it comes but leave the ram. Would changing to a different dp cable help as I can’t get the most out of my monitor via hdmi

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I should change gpu when it comes but leave the ram. Would changing to a different dp cable help as I can’t get the most out of my monitor via hdmi
Yeah, just swap the GPU to the 3060ti.

It's not an issue really, it's just a false reading from the motherboard.

What happens is older monitors when they're in standby don't send any signal to the PC at all.

Newer monitors will send a return code to the PC even when in standby to let them know they're there.

Some Asus motherboards are coded in the BIOS to always expect a return code which is a bug on Asus's part.

If you leave the monitor in standby, the PC will power on before the monitor, and as such for a short period during the PC post, it won't be receiving the return code, so it falsely assumes there's a GPU error.

Putting the screen fully on before powering on the PC sets that return code to be sent, so when the PC powers up, it's receiving the expected code.

Lawbur

Yeah, just swap the GPU to the 3060ti.

It's not an issue really, it's just a false reading from the motherboard.

What happens is older monitors when they're in standby don't send any signal to the PC at all.

Newer monitors will send a return code to the PC even when in standby to let them know they're there.

Some Asus motherboards are coded in the BIOS to always expect a return code which is a bug on Asus's part.

If you leave the monitor in standby, the PC will power on before the monitor, and as such for a short period during the PC post, it won't be receiving the return code, so it falsely assumes there's a GPU error.

Putting the screen fully on before powering on the PC sets that return code to be sent, so when the PC powers up, it's receiving the expected code.
Ok thanks!

bamitsalex

I have the same issue but I’ve had my PC for about 7 months now and it’s been working fine till now. However I’m scared to reseat the graphics card in case I mess something up