One long beep then three short beeps, black screen throughout

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll just leave this here for food for thought:

And PS, I really wouldn't get that shop to source a GPU or fit it at all, I'd do that myself, fitting a GPU is rediculously easy.

Slaneous

I hear you yes they will be in short supply and are heavily in demand. Withe my PC specs if I did buy a 3080, should it work ok?
I hear you, I can fit the GPU. I might just go and pick up the tower from the shop and order it myself...if it'll work/get delivered that is.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I hear you yes they will be in short supply and are heavily in demand. Withe my PC specs if I did buy a 3080, should it work ok?
I hear you, I can fit the GPU. I might just go and pick up the tower from the shop and order it myself...if it'll work/get delivered that is.
You’re missing the point. What monitor will you be pairing it with?

Slaneous

What resolution and refresh rate?
Good question. I don't have the tower here (In repair shop not getting repaired) so am trying to find out. I bought it on Ebay five years ago and as they wipe any purchase history beyond 3 years, it's proving hard to find.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good question. I don't have the tower here (In repair shop not getting repaired) so am trying to find out. I bought it on Ebay five years ago and as they wipe any purchase history beyond 3 years, it's proving hard to find.
Not the tower, the monitor, you should be able to see the make and model on the back?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I use it for my business (I am a web designer, graphic designer and illustrator) and a bit of gaming (recently purchased Microsoft flight simulator which is quite graphics intensive).
Doesn’t flight sim look incredible?

Reason I ask is it’s not a gaming monitor so won’t be making the best of games anyway, it’s more suited to business use being 1440p 60hz.

The 3060 would be far more suitable, anything over that (and even the 3060 is overpowered) will be bottlenecked by the monitor.

Slaneous

Doesn’t flight sim look incredible?

Reason I ask is it’s not a gaming monitor so won’t be making the best of games anyway, it’s more suited to business use being 1440p 60hz.

The 3060 would be far more suitable, anything over that (and even the 3060 is overpowered) will be bottlenecked by the monitor.
Yes, it's been amazing (MFS). I played it for about two weeks before my PC went down and loved it...when I had the time to play it.
Many thanks for that. The 3060 looks more affordable but is not available until October so my machine will be down for a while. I've just looked at the 3060 and it definitely looks like a better option. Why would I pay a lot more to not utilise the extra features?!

Great advice. I will pick up the tower tomorrow, order the 3060 when it becomes available and then fit it myself.
In the meantime I will have to work on my 2010 macbook pro to get my web designs done :)

Appreciate that.

Sean

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, it's been amazing (MFS). I played it for about two weeks before my PC went down and loved it...when I had the time to play it.
Many thanks for that. The 3060 looks more affordable but is not available until October so my machine will be down for a while. I've just looked at the 3060 and it definitely looks like a better option. Why would I pay a lot more to not utilise the extra features?!

Great advice. I will pick up the tower tomorrow, order the 3060 when it becomes available and then fit it myself.
In the meantime I will have to work on my 2010 macbook pro to get my web designs done :)

Appreciate that.

Sean
Just for further info, all the 3000 series cards have the same features, there's no difference in feature set or experience from the 3060 up to the 3090, it's just the higher tier the card, the more power it has to push more pixels at the same or higher framerate.

So 3060 will push 1440p 144Hz at ultimate visuals.

3070 will push the same ultimate visuals but at 4k 100Hz

3080 will push the same ultimate visuals but at 4k 144Hz.

And also, even if you were to buy a 3080 on release day on Thursday, it's very likely you wouldn't receive one for around a month, and that's if you were one of the first to order and get in the queue. They will produce less 3080s than 3070s, as more people will always flock to the xx70 tier, it's just how it works.

I ordered a 1080 the day pre orders went live, didn't receive one until a month after release.

My point being weather you order a 3080 or a 3070, you'll still be waiting til october to actually receive it.

Slaneous

Just for further info, all the 3000 series cards have the same features, there's no difference in feature set or experience from the 3060 up to the 3090, it's just the higher tier the card, the more power it has to push more pixels at the same or higher framerate.

So 3060 will push 1440p 144Hz at ultimate visuals.

3070 will push the same ultimate visuals but at 4k 100Hz

3080 will push the same ultimate visuals but at 4k 144Hz.

And also, even if you were to buy a 3080 on release day on Thursday, it's very likely you wouldn't receive one for around a month, and that's if you were one of the first to order and get in the queue. They will produce less 3080s than 3070s, as more people will always flock to the xx70 tier, it's just how it works.

I ordered a 1080 the day pre orders went live, didn't receive one until a month after release.

My point being weather you order a 3080 or a 3070, you'll still be waiting til october to actually receive it.
Definitely food for thought. It's ok you have convinced me that the 3060 is the way to go. If it take stoo long what affordable alternative would you suggest for a new GPU? I wouldn't run MFS on ultra setting, just one medium graphics etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Definitely food for thought. It's ok you have convinced me that the 3060 is the way to go. If it take stoo long what affordable alternative would you suggest for a new GPU? I wouldn't run MFS on ultra setting, just one medium graphics etc.
Any of the current 2000 series cards will cost a lot more than the 3000 series and you’d need a higher tier card for equivalent performance.

So the 2070 Super would be around the 3060 power but would cost around £450 whereas a 3060 is set to cost around £250.

Plus you’ll miss out on the newer technologies like ray tracing and DLSS plus have much weaker tensor core power which would be very helpful for your work.

Slaneous

Any of the current 2000 series cards will cost a lot more than the 3000 series and you’d need a higher tier card for equivalent performance.

So the 2070 Super would be around the 3060 power but would cost around £450 whereas a 3060 is set to cost around £250.

Plus you’ll miss out on the newer technologies like ray tracing and DLSS plus have much weaker tensor core power which would be very helpful for your work.
Ok great, I'll just have to wait then!

Thank you again for all your advice. You were really helpful to me (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok great, I'll just have to wait then!

Thank you again for all your advice. You were really helpful to me (y)
Just a further note, you could buy a simple graphical output card now, like the GT1030 which I think you can get for around £60, so you wouldn't be able to game, but it would be a placeholder for simple graphical output so you could work.

Slaneous

Just a further note, you could buy a simple graphical output card now, like the GT1030 which I think you can get for around £60, so you wouldn't be able to game, but it would be a placeholder for simple graphical output so you could work.
Another great idea, it'll be good for a month (y) .MFS will just have to wait.

Many thanks
Sean

Slaneous