Opening the box - what stage is the Windows install at?

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
What is the Windows install state when PCS ship a completed PC/laptop?

It's been a few years since my last PCS purchase in 2011, Windows was partly installed and at a page where I needed to supply a few details. Then it completed the installation and detected all devices etc. I cant remember how long this took but it was a bit more than a 5 min task.

Since the new PC’s have so many fancy bits, there are more apps/drivers to check – cooler apps, rgb apps, video drivers etc. I wondered how current PCS machines are shipped – i.e. what stage of the Windows install?
I assume every piece of hardware is fully tested so that means a full Windows install would have been done with the latest drivers etc. And then reset/wiped before the 'end-user' install/setup is done.

I have a PC on order now and I have no problem going through any steps to complete the installation.
But I will be ordering a laptop as a xmas gift for my son. On the big day, my son will probably want to start using it immediately.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
When it arrives you'll just need to run Windows update repeatedly until no more are found. It took me roughly about 30-45 minutes to get them all downloaded and installed when I received mine in August.

Bhuna50

Author Level
You will go through a Windows initial start up asking you questions and whether you want to send them every detail under the sun.

As AC says, you will also need to run updates for a while.

My laptop arrived Saturday only took me about 30 minutes to fully update Windows and install a couple of benchmark progs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When you first switch on Windows will boot into the OOBE - the Out Of Box Experience. This is where you do all the initial setup; language, region, userid, etc. Take your time with this and be sure you know what each selection actually does and that you select the option best for you. One problem with the OOBE is that it's often a one-shot deal. If you screw up or if there's some sort of a glitch (a power outage for example) it can't usually be restarted (blame Microsoft for that). In that case you'll need to do a reinstall from bootable media.

Once the OOBE has completed (it will boot into the OOBE if you do a clean install from bootable media too) run Windows update repeatedly (even across reboots) to be sure that all updates are installed and that all drivers are up to date - this bit is important. Resist the temptation to start playing, get all the Windows updates done first.

Gavras

Master Poster
Thanks. I guess Xmas morning will be 'Dad, what do I put in this field?' for half an hour :)
That’s why you set it up before christmas, get it all up to date soon as it arrives.

then rebox, their are no real major updates planned so may just need the odd update.

however update as soon as Christmas as possible.

save yourself hassle on Christmas Day 😀

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That’s why you set it up before christmas, get it all up to date soon as it arrives.

then rebox, their are no real major updates planned so may just need the odd update.

however update as soon as Christmas as possible.

save yourself hassle on Christmas Day [emoji3]
I certainly agree with this. Christmas Day is not the time to be running the OOBE.

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
If I use his Microsoft account he may get notification of a login on a new machine.
I'll dig out instructions for setting up with a local account instead.

The next Windows update on/around 9th Dec.
I'll get this one done and then rebox it.

Shortly after xmas I'll need to transfer the Office Family license from his old laptop to the new one. And soft out my AV licenses. I just hope he lets me get access to it once he's opened the box :)