operating system and drivers issue. can anyone help?

FreakyDude

HI, so I received my laptop yesterday (16th of September) after waiting for what felt like forever for it.
I ordered it without an operating system because I already have one at home.
I installed my own operating system and went to install the drivers from the disk I was given but it wont work. it says that the drivers and the operating system aren't compatible which I think is bizarre. why give you the option to install your own operating system if the disk you provide wont work?!

I can't use the laptop properly which is very frustrating.
can anyone help?
thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you go to the Clevo website here you can download all the Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers for your laptop from there. You'll need to know the Clevo model number which is on the label on the bottom of your laptop.

I think that if you don't tell PCS what OS you plan to install they assume you'll be installing the latest version of Windows (ie. 8) and those are the drivers they supply.

FreakyDude

Hi, thanks for the reply. :)
I tried installing Windows home premium but when that failed to work I tried windows ultimate.

FreakyDude

Thank you for replying, I'll give that a go. :) I told pcs what is I'd be using when the option came up to pick which one I'd be using when I was placing my order.
I hope this works. :)

FreakyDude

Hey, i've been to the Clevo website and selected my model number p170SM however it is only showing the drivers for windows 8. :/

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey, i've been to the Clevo website and selected my model number p170SM however it is only showing the drivers for windows 8. :/

In that case it's likely that Windows 7 drivers are not available for that model. I think PCS get them direct from Clevo. I would suggest you give PCS a call.

You could always get a copy of Windows 8 of course, it's really not as much of a hassle as the media makes out. I can help you give it the same look and feel as Windows 7 too. I've only come across one hardware item (an aged Canon scanner) that's not supported on Windows 8. All my software runs just fine.

Paigey

Silver Level Poster
It's possible that the windows 7 drivers are actually on the CD, in which case it's just a matter of manually browsing through the files and installing the appropriate win7 drivers (this was the case for me)