Operating Temperatures and Laptop Longevity

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

I am soon to be ordering an Optimus 6 soon I think, with an i7, 16Gb DDR3, 1TB SSD, 4k screen and a 960m. My current laptop is pretty much on life support, I've rebuilt it several times to keep it semi-functioning.

What are the operating temperatures to be expected under load and idle? I did get a fast a polite response from PCS (expecting high 80s for GPU under load apparently) but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this card or similar setups here. Expecting high 80s temperature for the GPU makes me worry that only six months of dust buildup will cause it to throttle. Taking apart a laptop can be a bit tedious and risks damaging other components (especially by clumsy people such as myself!)

Also is there a recommended cooling pad I should buy to accommodate the notebook? Obviously I expect the laptop to run perfectly without one, but long-term I'm hoping to try and keep this for at least four years. My current laptop is three years old... Not long enough lifespan I think!

Other than that, I'm fairly certain the configuration I've selected will be sufficient for my usage.