Opinions on my build!

OweDye

Case
CORSAIR 5000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!

Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!

1st Storage Drive
8TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE

1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)

Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER

Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Grand Master
What is it for? What is your maximum budget? What monitor will you be using with this? Please provide the unique configuration link, so that others can easily suggest changes. The build above needs a few changes.

OweDye

@Bigfoot
Already bought it. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. I want it for gaming and for multi tasking as it will mainly be for university. Doing cyber security course.
Just curious to see people’s opinions.
Maybe I jumped the gun ordered it before seeing anyone recommending changes.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A pity: we could have offered improvements, certainly. The good news is that it's certainly not a bad computer and will do very well for 1080p gaming. It's slightly overkill for that purpose in memory size (though a tiny bit slower than optimal in speed) and in the motherboard (though it's better to be over-specced in motherboard terms). The cooler is fine, but a little venerable at this point, and the power supply is fine for now but might limit you down the line when you come to upgrade that graphics card.

The thing I imagine you'll want to upgrade in the relatively short term is the storage situation: if you're gaming, you really want a second SSD to hold your game files. Fortunately this is not terribly expensive and is a really simple mod to do yourself, so it might be worth thinking about in the next few months. Certainly I wouldn't want to game off a hard drive these days!

I hope you have a great time with it!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
@Bigfoot
Already bought it. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. I want it for gaming and for multi tasking as it will mainly be for university. Doing cyber security course.
Just curious to see people’s opinions.
Maybe I jumped the gun ordered it before seeing anyone recommending changes.

Oh dear, as @Bigfoot says that needs a few changes:

5600 would do fine on 550 motherboard
AMD processors like fast RAM so 3200MHZ minimum
Storage is weird, any reason for such a large HDD, personally storage wise this is what I'[d do

Barracuda HDD Max 4TB
500GB Samsung 980 (970 if budget wont go to 980)
1TB PCS m.2

Then we come to power supply, I'd have gone for the 850w RMx, to give loads of headroom for future upgrades

OweDye

Thanks for all replies. I have a few SSDs that I will be taking out of my old pc and I have many games so I got that hdd just for all my games. And just using the m.2 for windows and Linux as I will probably set up a dual boot.
Never thought to ask before purchasing it. I think I was just a bit to eager.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I think your system will work really well overall OP.

The guys have pointed out some issues already so just to put an optimistic spin on them:

1) You have a great CPU for what you want.

2) You have a great case that will keep everything nice and cool.

2) Your X570 board can take two full speed Gen 4.0 M.2's like the 980 EVO's - about twice the speed of your existing 970 EVO - so that would be a nice upgrade to plan for down the road. It'll also handle any AM4 socket CPU upgrade in future without a hint of a flinch.

3) I have the same RAM as you and have overclocked it to 3200 MHz without trouble and gained about 7% in performance in multi-threaded workload as a result - so that could pass some time too! :)

Having said all that I also have the same PSU as you - I have become a tweaker in more ways than I expected and the biggest restriction on my wish list of upgrades is that PSU. I ignored the advice of so many on here at the time I was selecting it (my biggest regret) but I did my own thing cos that's the way I roll:

You already are somewhat limited in terms of headroom on the TXm so just keep an eye on that if you do change anything later. An upgraded PSU should be high up a list (as it is on mine) of upgrades at that point.

BUT! It is still a great machine and will make you perfectly happy I think! Enjoy it!

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm in the same boat as @NoddyPirate: I also have the TX550m and it will need replacing at some point. It's a pain, but fortunately it isn't that tricky a mod to do down the road. You'd rather not do it, but it's certainly not difficult. I was also aiming for an optimistic spin (though reading my comment back, I'm not sure I accomplished it!): even if it could be tweaked slightly, this is a really, really good PC.

OweDye

@NoddyPirate thank you for the optimism. I will overclock the ram to get more speed and PCS said that I didn’t even need that much wattage. Only 400 I think. Around there anyway.

Only 19 so don’t have any money spare but have a 144hz BenQ monitor and I will be only 1080p gaming. My old pc is a potato and couldn’t even use 144 hz as pc was to poor to even utilise the performance. Hopefully with this pc I don’t wanna break any records. Just want play the new games for fun and as long as they not laggy. New games like cyberpunk and red dead. Even in lowest settings as long as not laggy. Just wanted something that can play new games without lag and good at multi tasking for university.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
@NoddyPirate thank you for the optimism. I will overclock the ram to get more speed and PCS said that I didn’t even need that much wattage. Only 400 I think. Around there anyway.

Only 19 so don’t have any money spare but have a 144hz BenQ monitor and I will be only 1080p gaming. My old pc is a potato and couldn’t even use 144 hz as pc was to poor to even utilise the performance. Hopefully with this pc I don’t wanna break any records. Just want play the new games for fun and as long as they not laggy. New games like cyberpunk and red dead. Even in lowest settings as long as not laggy. Just wanted something that can play new games without lag and good at multi tasking for university.
Corsair PSU’s are great and one of the big differences vs some other brands is that their wattage rating is certified for continuous draw - where others sneakily advertise the max transient value - so your Corsair PSU will behave itself I am sure.

In general PSU’s operate most efficiently when at 50-60% of the rated power so that’s one reason for keeping more headroom than strictly indicated by an online calculator (which is all the PCS thingy is really) but the upgrade path is key too.

Anyway, you’ll still be happy for now no doubt.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It'll certainly do that! When it arrives, @OweDye, could you post some pictures? I'd be really interested to see how PCS will install the extra fans you've ordered.
Ah yes indeed! There have been a few strange install of optional fans here - not many mind you - but it would be interesting to see!

Also, posting your photos in the ‘Show off your system’ section is obligatory once you become a forum member so that the rest of us can get ideas for our next tweaks. 👍

OweDye

@sck451 @NoddyPirate

I will definitely post pictures and I want those Corsair fans on the front of the pc so they can be seen lol so hopefully they put them there default. If not then I will change them.
As I previously said, PCS said that the power supply is to much even for the 20% rule they have for extra play but I will purchase a new one of those when I upgrade next. Hopefully not for a while.

I will post the pictures Monday or Tuesday and will @ you all and will post it on the other forum.

Thank you all for your support :)

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
It'll certainly do that! When it arrives, @OweDye, could you post some pictures? I'd be really interested to see how PCS will install the extra fans you've ordered.
I’m really interested in this as well as I’m considering adding some to my build. I know people will say buy them separately and add them yourself but I’m leaning towards it’s all being done when I get it. I will probably tinker down the line.
I therefore wonder if they put the fans where I think they would? Thank you.

OweDye

@JediMonsoon yeh I know what you mean. I hope they place them where they can be seen otherwise it is a bit waste of the extra money for rbg. I hope they link with my glave and my k100 well

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
@JediMonsoon yeh I know what you mean. I hope they place them where they can be seen otherwise it is a bit waste of the extra money for rbg. I hope they link with my glave and my k100 well
I’d expect them to be positioned correctly - it’s the connections that have been a bit odd on occasion - but I don’t think you need to be too worried.

And it’s easy to sort them all out in any case yourself if need be...

OweDye

@NoddyPirate it will be under my desk anyway so I shouldn’t notice if not to bad.
Just a quick question, when I get my new pc and get new games, is it worth putting the bigger ones on an ssd. I have looked online and it says it only helps with loading times but I only got 1tb ssd. Would it be better if I put the big games on there and the others on a hdd or would you recommend them all on ssd. If so then I will invest in a larger ssd.

I only have like 10 out of 100 games I own downloaded

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Your OS comes first and should be on the fastest drive possible, but I would still try to put my games on the fastest drive that has room for them. In general I think you are correct that faster drives will give you faster loading times, but mostly won't affect anything once the game is loaded and running - but the difference really can be quite significant nonetheless.

The benefit also differs game to game. Some load pretty quickly from HDD anyway, and the benefit of an SSD might not be quite so useful, but the majority these days will really benefit from faster drives. A few games are a mare - like MSFS for example, which even on my M.2 takes for ever to load up and do it's thing - for these sorts of games every bit of help you can give it will be worth it.

Remember that with SSD's you really want to esnure you keep 10-20% free space at all times to maximise the life of the drive, so keep that in mind too.

OweDye

Your OS comes first and should be on the fastest drive possible, but I would still try to put my games on the fastest drive that has room for them. In general I think you are correct that faster drives will give you faster loading times, but mostly won't affect anything once the game is loaded and running - but the difference really can be quite significant nonetheless.

The benefit also differs game to game. Some load pretty quickly from HDD anyway, and the benefit of an SSD might not be quite so useful, but the majority these days will really benefit from faster drives. A few games are a mare - like MSFS for example, which even on my M.2 takes for ever to load up and do it's thing - for these sorts of games every bit of help you can give it will be worth it.

Remember that with SSD's you really want to esnure you keep 10-20% free space at all times to maximise the life of the drive, so keep that in mind too.
Yeh i want to keep windows and kali linux on the first drive. I do have a 1TB SSD that I will keep my games on now I have that extra drive. I have a lot of small games that are like £5 so I think that when it comes to large games like red dead and GTA (For sure, that games sucks for loading, or at least it did anyway before the fix) but for games like cities skylines, prison architect and games like that I will most likely keep on my HDD.