Opinions on new 4k monitor?

Any currently-available, better option than the MPG321UR-QD?

• Sony Inzone M9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair Xeneon 32UHD144

• Viewsonic Gaming Elite XG321UG

• Total voters

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Assuming no impending release of a sub-£1k OLED 4K 32" monitor, and on the basis that I'll wait for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, is there any better option at the sub-£1k price-point for a 27-32" 4k 144Hz monitor than my current favourite front-runner, the MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD:
  • 32”
  • IPS
  • 144Hz
  • HDR600
  • 16-zone local/edge-lit
I've narrowed down the alternatives thusly, and they all have an advantage/disadvantage over the MSI:
  • Sony Inzone M9 - 27”, IPS, HDR600, 96-zone FALD (expensive for a 27")
  • Corsair Xenon 32UHD144 - 32", IPS, 144Hz, HDR600, 16-zone local/edge-lit (low dimming zones)
  • Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 - 32", VA, HDR2000, 1196 Zone FALD, 1000R curve (proper FALD, great HDR, not sure on VA, or 1000R curve)
  • Viewsonic Gaming Elite XG321UG - 32". IPS, HRD1400, 1152-zone FALD (proper FALD, great HDR...almost perfect...except for the £2k price tag)

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The only obvious option I know that you haven't mentioned is the Asus PG32UQ: 32", IPS, 144Hz, HDR600, 16-zone, £829. I think I'd go for the MSI in your shoes, though.
...and therein lies part of my problem.

There are so many, with similar specs, where one item is slightly better, but another is slightly worse...and you are always trying to work out what will make most impact to your own game/workflow.

For example, a VA screen is fine for gaming, but the 'off-angle' colour tint makes it poor for design work. Yet the VA screen is great for contrast!!!

I even keep going back to look at the Alienware QD-OLED, but the screen height is slightly smaller than my 27" monitor at the moment and the double-wide screen would have the effect of making it appear even smaller.

None of the options listed are perfect, but I've already been waiting almost 2 years for my perfect 4k monitor - maybe I just have to wait for LG's rumoured 28-32" OLED gaming monitor/TV range :LOL:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
...and therein lies part of my problem.

There are so many, with similar specs, where one item is slightly better, but another is slightly worse...and you are always trying to work out what will make most impact to your own game/workflow.

For example, a VA screen is fine for gaming, but the 'off-angle' colour tint makes it poor for design work. Yet the VA screen is great for contrast!!!

None of the options are perfect, but I've already been waiting almost 2 years for my perfect 4k monitor :LOL:
The other thing that's limiting you is size.

There is the PG42UQ which is a new Asus 42" OLED offering, currently it's over budget, but I expect it may reduce into reach with a good sale like January Sales

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The other thing that's limiting you is size.

There is the PG42UQ which is a new Asus 42" OLED offering, currently it's over budget, but I expect it may reduce into reach with a good sale like January Sales
Yes, size is an issue, and one of the reasons I haven't already got a G9 Evo or 42" LG C2 (£950).

A 6-foot wide room is already a bit cramped with having 3 x 27" monitors as it is.

I'd probably even settle for a 32" 4k non-OLED if I could get one with a glossy screen, rather than the matt screen that everything (non-OLED) seems to come with.

The LG 32EP950-B sounded almost perfect, until I realised it was only 60Hz (£3k monitor, but available at Costco for £1400).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, size is an issue, and one of the reasons I haven't already got a G9 Evo or 42" LG C2 (£950).

A 6-foot wide room is already a bit cramped with having 3 x 27" monitors as it is.

I'd probably even settle for a 32" 4k non-OLED if I could get one with a glossy screen, rather than the matt screen that everything (non-OLED) seems to come with.

The LG 32EP950-B sounded almost perfect, until I realised it was only 60Hz (£3k monitor, but available at Costco for £1400).
My room isn't far off that kind of crampedness, but then I'm not contending with 3 monitors, my G9 replaced the 2 monitors I had previously one of which has been deprecated to office use for work downstairs and the other is in the attic.

Robbie

Gold Level Poster
I'm looking at 4k monitors too, the ones you listed look great, I've added the MSI Optix to my list to keep an eye on now for price drops.

Could never get a G9, waaay too big and I can just imagine the amount of issues you would run into just trying to play games that dont support that resolution. I'm currently on a 27" I believe, so upgrading to 32" would be more than enough and going from 2k to 4k

Last edited:

Robbie

Gold Level Poster
I'm tempted.. but I won't have a GPU capable of 4k until early next year, can't have a 4k monitor sat in it's box for month's unused - I'd lose my sanity :LOL:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Alienware OLED...as it was on a Black Friday special for £943...

Was tempted by the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 due to its less gamer-looking design (which would fit in nicely with my alu aesthetic of my Studio Mac & Studio Display), but it's £350 more and has AMD Freesync hardware vs the Nvidia GSync Ultimate hardware in the Alienware (to go with my 3080Ti).

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Alienware OLED...as it was on a Black Friday special for £943...

Was tempted by the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 due to its less gamer-looking design (which would fit in nicely with my alu Mac & monitor), but it's £350 more and has AMD Freesync hardware vs the Nvidia GSync Ultimate hardware in the Alienware (to go with my 3080Ti).
A friend of mine has the Alienware and it is drop dead gorgeous, excellent choice I would say!

Robbie

Gold Level Poster
That Alienware is stunning, shame I'd never see the back of it if it was on my desk. Hope you enjoy it, really good purchase!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That Alienware is stunning, shame I'd never see the back of it if it was on my desk. Hope you enjoy it, really good purchase!
The back is the least important part for me...and I don't do much text-based work on that machine so the sub-pixel layout shouldn't affect me.

The Alienware hardware with the Odyssey aesthetic would have been perfect...but I'll see if I can live with it when it arrives tomorrow ;)

Knowing my luck, LG will announce a sub-£1000 32" 4k 160Hz 16:9 OLED gaming monitor next week :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Robbie

Gold Level Poster
The back is the least important part for me...and I don't do much text-based work on that machine so the sub-pixel layout shouldn't affect me.

The Alienware hardware with the Odyssey aesthetic would have been perfect...but I'll see if I can live with it when it arrives tomorrow ;)

Knowing my luck, LG will announce a sub-£1000 32" 4k 160Hz 16:9 OLED gaming monitor next week :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
Haha yeah obviously, just thought with the back looking so nice it would be a shame to just be facing a wall :D

oh god, don't jinx yourself! Although I kind of hope there is so I can grab it instead!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, it arrived...a day late...but it is VERY pretty...and gives me more space for game shortcuts :)

Screenshot-(1).jpg

Just about as wide as I think I can get away with in the space (maybe a 38" version would have fitted too?) - but the shallower1800r curve suits me much better than the 1000r monitors I've seen elsewhere.