Opinions?

Stappa

Enthusiast
Hi can you plz give me your opinions on this PC(tad under £2k).........My son wants a powerful PC for high end gaming at 1440P and HD video Rendering/encoding/Decoding for youtube etc
budget is 2k max

Does it look OK??

Thx in advance

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-5820K (3.3GHz @ MAX 4.4GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® X99-A: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2666MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 FURY X - HDMI, DP x 3 - DX® 12, (PRE-ORDER ONLY)
1st Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
4TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 5900 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET (£79)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i GT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£69)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof) (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Change the second drive, a hybrid is not needed as you have an SSD main drive, plus they are not that good. A fast 7200rpm WD drive would be a much better option.

Stappa

Enthusiast
umm..... I couldn't disagree more.I replaced my WD black for the same 4TB hybrid a while ago and I'm Very Impressed with it....much faster than my WD Black or any HHD with hardly any price difference?

The only thing my son and I disagree on is the GFX card(over kill imo),but its his money I guess

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
umm..... I couldn't disagree more.I replaced my WD black for the same 4TB hybrid a while ago and I'm Very Impressed with it....much faster than my WD Black or any HHD with hardly any price difference?

The only thing my son and I disagree on is the GFX card(over kill imo),but its his money I guess

Do you have a separate SSD though? Also the WD drives are more reliable.

Also, is the youtube and editing a hobby or more serious than that?

A quad core i7 with 16GB of RAM would be more than enough for most people doing editing

Stappa

Enthusiast
Yes I'm currently running a 500gb SSD with the Hybrid.......His youtube is currently a hobby but he hopes for a more permanent/professional channel.......and my sons research pointed to a 6 core I7 with 32gb min ram?
TBO he has pretty much made his mind up on the spec thou I suggested a lesser GFX Card and neither of us were sure about the case(thou he cant have a taller case as it will not fit the desk)?

the gamer guy

THAT is the sort of computer I dream of Its more than enough for a lot of things, but I understand. But I would lower the hard drive and increase the solid state if its just for gaming.And 16gb is enough for gaming unless ur playing 2 games at once which is crazy.Finally Many(including myself) would say Nvidia is better for gaming and if u lower the Ram and Memeory slighly you could get a truly awe some grapghics card made by Nvidia.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Yes I'm currently running a 500gb SSD with the Hybrid.......His youtube is currently a hobby but he hopes for a more permanent/professional channel.......and my sons research pointed to a 6 core I7 with 32gb min ram?
TBO he has pretty much made his mind up on the spec thou I suggested a lesser GFX Card and neither of us were sure about the case(thou he cant have a taller case as it will not fit the desk)?

Personally would get a 980ti, runs cooler and better than the fury X and would drop to the quad core i7

Stappa

Enthusiast
I personally only use Nvidia Cards, but My son says there's a prob with Nvidia and DX12?? the ATI beast he's chosen is meant to be far more compatible(his 2 year old ATI 280x has preformed well mind)??? as I haven't researched it I can't comment.....thou he does know he Tech lol..........Though £600 ish is a lot of money for gaming........

Stappa

Enthusiast
Ummmm just checked benchmarks and the GTX980/980TI certainly seem to have the edge?so its the DX12 problems he's concerned about

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I personally only use Nvidia Cards, but My son says there's a prob with Nvidia and DX12?? the ATI beast he's chosen is meant to be far more compatible(his 2 year old ATI 280x has preformed well mind)??? as I haven't researched it I can't comment.....thou he does know he Tech lol..........Though £600 ish is a lot of money for gaming........

Both companies always say their card will be better compatible with something and it's never true, or not to the point where it's noticeable. The 980ti performs better than the fury X at the moment, It's best to buy the GPU which performs better now, not the one that may or may not perform better in the future :p

The nvidia card also uses a lot less power and creates less heat and noise, along with having features like shadow play which are great for capturing gameplay

Either way I'd downgrade the i7 to the quad core, the majority of professional youtubers don't have the six core versions

Stappa

Enthusiast
A weekend of research I think then I'll order.......Its all down to my lad really will it be the fury x or the 980ti?? either way the PC should last for years hopefully(My PCS PC is nearly 5 years old so??)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
A weekend of research I think then I'll order.......Its all down to my lad really will it be the fury x or the 980ti?? either way the PC should last for years hopefully(My PCS PC is nearly 5 years old so??)

Yeah, either way it will last a while hopefully, have a look at some youtube videos comparing the two cards, they quite often point out some good stuff :)

Spuff

Expert
I personally only use Nvidia Cards, but My son says there's a prob with Nvidia and DX12??

The 'problem' comes from testing the only DX12 game out at the moment. It's jumping the gun a bit to draw any conclusions from the performance of the first game to try to get a handle on implementing DX12. A game which in some way is being sponsored by AMD, Ashes of the Singularity.

Last edited:

Stappa

Enthusiast
The 'problem' comes from testing the only DX12 game out at the moment. It's jumping the gun a bit to draw any conclusions from the performance of the first game to try to get a handle on implementing DX12. A game which in some way is being sponsored by AMD, Ashes of the Singularity.

Indeed there is one DX12 game atm but there are several DX12 benchmark suits and they have given AMD upto 80% boost over there Nvidia rivals??after talking again with my son he's opting for the Fury though I assume Nvidia will pummel AMD when they release their new cards.....as always this tech keeps improving and updating lol

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Indeed there is one DX12 game atm but there are several DX12 benchmark suits and they have given AMD upto 80% boost over there Nvidia rivals??after talking again with my son he's opting for the Fury though I assume Nvidia will pummel AMD when they release their new cards.....as always this tech keeps improving and updating lol

Fair enough, although I will still urge him to buy the one that's best now, not the one that might be best later, especially since we won't have many DX12 games for a while yet, but either way it's a very powerful graphics card I guess :)

LFFPicard

Godlike
Shame I only just seen this post, could of saved you plenty of money and a equal/better machine.
As for DX12, there are no issues, it is propaganda, besides with the likes of Valve and Nintendo siding with Vulcan I am pretty sure DX12 wont be an issue. Where Valve go, many follow.