Optimus 15.6" Video Editing Laptop- advice! :)

rosetoes

Hi there,

Looking for a new laptop to edit HD video with Adobe Premiere Pro. I’d also like to use the machine for some music tech work. Budget is up to £1000 (excluding VAT). I’d love some advice on certain parts of the spec.

I configured this from the Optimus rather than Vortex case just because I preferred the look of it from the online pictures. I don’t know what the difference is other than appearance, but I'd like to know if there's a serious difference in the motherboards. Are the built in speakers better in the Vortex? Are both plastic?

15.6” Optimus V
Full HD 1920 x 1080 res matt screen
Intel Core i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ
24GB Samsung 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 Memory (3x8GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M – 2GB DDR5 Video RAM – Direct X 11
750 WD Scorpio Black 7200rrpm Hard-drive
120GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (up to 550MB/s : 520MB/sW)
6x Bluray Writer
9 in 1 Card reader
Arctic X Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound (£9)
Inter 2 Channel High Definition Audio
Gigabit Lan & Wireless Intel N-135 802.11N (150 Mbps) ****
Windows Professional 64 bit
Silver Warranty (£5)

Total Cost : £969.89 ex VAT

Other questions are: whether the SSD drive will have a significant impact (I will install the OS and premiere on the SSD) and whether the Intel drive is worth the extra cost from the Kingston. Whether 24GB RAM is worth the extra cost from 16GB. I'm also a little confused about the different wireless internet options.

Many many many thanks!

Rosie

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The vortex offers a backlit keyboard, option to upgrade the gpu and better cooling. I don't think there is a difference with speakers. The SSD will make windows faster with booting times and loading applications.

feetofclay

i think the optimus v 15.6 also has a backlit keyboard. but hardly the most important feature :p

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
The Intel is the better drive but whether it is that much better I am not sure. The Kingston HyperX 3K is the dearer of the Kingston drives but, IMO, worth getting, a couple of friends have it and it is already penciled in for my new machine.