Optimus II: 15.6" Graphics levels for Games

zacthespack

[10/11/11] - 19 Games Tested - Optimus II: 15.6" Graphics levels for Games

Ok so I have decided to start this thread to give those looking to buy this laptop a good idea of how well this laptop runs certain games that they may well wish to play.
The spec for the laptop I shall be using to test games is posted at the bottom of this post, so if your spec is better games may play better etc. But it should give a good benchmark.
By each game that I have test are all the 'advanced' graphics settings at what level they are at in order to maintain a constant 30FPS while playing the game.
Please also note that all games are tested in the full native resolution (1920x1080).

Game titles that are Red have yet to be tests, Green have smashed the 30FPS requirement on full settings, Orange have come very close to the 30FPS on full settings (+- 5) and those in black did not get 30FPS with full settings and thus there settings where decreased until they reach this

Games
Aliens vs. Predator- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 30 FPS
Battlefield: Bad Company 2- Using the 'Medium' Settings - Averages around 32FPS (can drop to around 25FPS in large battles but still fully playable)
Bioshock 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 35 FPS (Will drop to around 30 FPS in intense fire fights)
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 30 FPS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Multiplayer

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 38 FPS (Will drop to around 30 FPS in intense fire fights)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer - All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 35 FPS
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight- Using the Graphics Pre-set 'Medium' - Averages 30FPS (on high settings will stay above 20 FPS)
Crysis
Crysis 2- All Settings on 'High' with Direct X 11 and high rez textures 'Off' - Averages 30FPS (However with Direct X 11 and high rez textures on you still get a constant above 20FPS which is playable and looks amazing!)
Eve Online- 'Quality' graphics preset enabled, resource cache disabled, antialising on 'medium', 40-60FPS in space (station view disabled) (Thanks to rabtech for testing)
Fallout 3 - All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 40 FPS (however through out the FPS can range from 60 to 20 it goes all over the place. Please note that to get the game working I had to use this fix http://trebleclick.blogspot.com/2009/04/fallout-3-crash-fix.html)
Far Cry 2 - Max Settings but no Anti-aliasing - Averages around 30FPS (Thanks to Noble for testing)
Fear 3 - All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 30FPS (Thanks to Noble for testing)
Mafia 2 - Max Settings but no Anti-aliasing - Averages around 30FPS - 35FPS (Thanks to Noble for testing)
Mass Effect- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 40 FPS
Mirror's Edge- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 28-30 FPS (while on the edge of my 30FPS limit only in high AI areas of the game does it drop below 30FPS)
Portal- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 50 FPS
Portal 2- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 40 FPS (Dropping anti-aliasing down to around x4 will get you back up to around 50-60 FPS)
Team Fortress 2- All Settings to Highest values - Averages around 40 FPS
+More to come!!

My Spec
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

If you would like games tested in other resolutions please let me know!
If you have the same laptop with the same CPU and graphics card please feel free to post game FPS results like above and I will add them to the list!

Last edited:

cmick29

Hey, if you were a girl, I'd kiss you! :) Fabulous idea, I hope someone would do it for the 17" version of Optimus 2. but this is good too... basically, it is the same card that is in the 17" version... True, 17" one should be cooling the card (well, the whole system!)a bit better, because of extra space inside, and maybe because of that run slightly better... :) Could you also give an overall impression regarding the noise and heat, when under this kind of load (probably the maximum, right?)? Anyhow, when we come to vote for a class representative, I'll vote for you... :D

zacthespack

Yes this should work for a good benchmark for both laptops with the likely hood of the 17" being a little better.
When running crysis 2 (the next game for me to add details for) therefore under full load, quite alot of heat is produced, this can be reduced by either sitting the laptop on your lap and leaving a gab for the fan in take or using a cooling pad etc.

cmick29

Does the ASDW letters/position on keyboard get very hot? Where are the hotspots? How is the hard disc area?

zacthespack

Does the ASDW letters/position on keyboard get very hot? Where are the hotspots? How is the hard disc area?

the keyboard dose not get hot at all, the main hot spot is the fan outlet, it would seem the fan is very good at keep the rest of the underneath at a ok temp. After playing crysis 2 for a good while I got much CPU temp of 78C, mother board sensor read 77C, hard drive 41C and graphics card 74C at there max points which for a laptop is not to bad I dont think

zacthespack

If anyone has any games they would like to request or any benchmark programs or really anything else you want me to test let me know and i will see what I can do!

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
Similar specs to the machine I've just ordered. If possible Fifa 12 and F1 2011 I will be playing a lot of, how do these games fair?

zacthespack

Similar specs to the machine I've just ordered. If possible Fifa 12 and F1 2011 I will be playing a lot of, how do these games fair?

while I don't have either games based on the spec requirements for the games against those I have tested it would seem fifa 12 should get over 30FPS on highest settings and so should F1 2011. At the least they will both play well but I can be 100% that they will play well on full settings

rabtech

Optimus II with same CPU/Graphics as OP, 8GB ram.

Eve Online: Full Screen (1080p) with 'Quality' graphics preset enabled, resource cache disabled, antialising on 'medium', 40-60FPS in space (station view disabled)

zacthespack

Optimus II with same CPU/Graphics as OP, 8GB ram.

Eve Online: Full Screen (1080p) with 'Quality' graphics preset enabled, resource cache disabled, antialising on 'medium', 40-60FPS in space (station view disabled)

Thank you very much, I have added it to the list and given you credit.

IF anyone else has the same laptop with same cpu and graphics card (ram is not so important) feel free to post your fps results and i shall add them!!

jonno1981

Cheers Zac, I have been looking for a desktop replacement laptop for a while and been concerned about how one would cope with more demanding games. These FPS ratings have persuaded me to order a 17.3 optimus with almost identical specs to the one you posted. You should be on commission!!! When it arrives I will try running some games and compare the FPS against the 15.3 version you have.

Chassis & Display Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Stands & Port Replicators NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

zacthespack

Thanks man, Im glad it helped! *cough* Maybe I should be on commission *cough*

*looks to PCS*

but anyway, that was the point of this post :) to help everyone find a laptop that is amazing and owns at gaming

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated with this one.......

Have you tested BF3 yet?

I am having issues with it. My laptop is a week old. I am running the lowest settings on BF3 (game still looks great) but the game still randomly freezes up on me, sometimes 5 or 10 mins into the game. Not sure what is going on here, monitoring temps and they all seem to be ok. I even lowered res from full HD. GT 555m with latest drivers Anyone got any ideas....

My spec is
Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
CORSAIR 120GB FORCE 3 SSD

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH

zacthespack

hmmm very odd, your laptop should run the game fine, but I have yet to buy the game so unable to test it yet, once I do I will get back on the results but this could be a software thing, alot of games start of having problems with windows 7 64bit

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah it should be able to play it, even with some of the settings bumped up from the lowest.

There must be some underlying issue causing this for the game to work ok for a while and then just freeze. I've noticed it seems to play with no issues on co-op mode. I haven't played much multiplayer, this issues only occurs on single player.

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
I may have solved it, had the latest drivers. There is a special beta driver for BF3 that I installed and it did not freeze up on me :) managed a solid half an hour with video options set to auto, some settings on ultra thats what I'm talking about...

zacthespack

I may have solved it, had the latest drivers. There is a special beta driver for BF3 that I installed and it did not freeze up on me :) managed a solid half an hour with video options set to auto, some settings on ultra thats what I'm talking about...
Sweet :D im glad to hear it, cant wait to get my hands on a copy :D