Optimus II for gaming?

paladin005

Hi

I'm planning on purchasing a new gaming laptop as my desktop is on it's way out. I have a budget of about 1K and was wondering if anyone here has tried gaming on the optimus II laptop.

The Spec I am looking at is as follows:

Optimus II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2760QM (2.40GHz) 6MB

8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH

1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software

Will mainly be playing WOW, SWTOR, GW2 and MW2. I also want to be able to run premiere pro, after effects and dreamweaver. Does anyone else have one of these laptops with a similar spec and if you do how have you got on with it?

My main concern is the GPU as I have not seen too many gaming laptops on the market with that graphics card. Has anyone used it before and how did they get on with it? Ideally I want to be able to run my games with the graphics settings turned all the way up so if this GPU isn't going to do it then I need to think about saving a bit more cash and going for the vortex laptop however I think the wife would have heart failure. You have no idea how much begging ive had to do just to get her to agree with me spending 1k on something im going to be playing games on :)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

UndeadJack

Master Poster
^ lolwut spam?

The GT555 is a good gaming gpu. (it's even being used in the Razer Blade!) It can handle all COD games well and I am guessing BF3 with Med/High Settings. I have played WoW on Ultra with a friends Alienware laptop and it was awesome.1

paladin005

Thanks a bunch UDJack and PCS. Appreciate the prompt response. Gonna have to just bite the bullet and order my machine now !! Really excited!