Optimus II Graphics

Jimmy8085

Good Evening All

I received my Optimus II shell with the GT555m 2gb in. Everything else about the laptop works perfectly apart from I cannot seem to get the GT555 to kick in.

I searched the forums first and found a few threads about making sure I had installed the drivers, so i reinstalled them all just to be sure, the problem I am having is pressing the VGA button causes the button to change from orange to green (or vice versa).

My problem is even in optimus mode "orange" the dGPU does not kick in with any of my steam games? This is resulting in 8fps for Magika (obviously unplayable). When I run minecraft from the desktop shortcut the dGPU kicks in and it all runs perfectly.

Is there anyway to make Optimus recognise steam games without having to put them all as desktop shortcuts?

Any advice as to what I am doing wrong and how to make sure the correct graphics works for each application would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

[EDIT: In the morning to remove late night rambling]

Last edited:
Personally, I do this:

Right click on desktop > Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program settings
Then just change whatever. :)

I also find it useful to keep Nvidia GPU activity tray icon running :)

Jimmy8085

Thank you dude, I had not thought to add them all manually. Bit of a flakey work around but it works. So thank you very much good sir.