Optimus II laptop temperature and underclocking

samn

I ran a Prime95 stability test earlier while monitoring temperatures. Temps got up to 99 degrees after a few minutes and the CPU started underclocking itself to lower than 1000MHz to try and control the heat.

I'm worried that this is happening during gaming and that this will adversely affect my framerates. Is there any way to improve temps? I have the laptop raised at the back above my desk to allow for better airflow.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hello Samn,
I don't know much about laptops or the optimus model however when running prime95 on my desktop my understanding is that it will push the CPU to the max which will not be the case while gaming. There is a big difference in CPU temperatures when I run prime95 and game for hours.

Finn

Enthusiast
Have your cleaned out the fan and heatsink of any dust/hair etc recently? A CPU should not thermally throttle even when used to the max.

samn

No I haven't, but it was like this when I got it last year.

Edit: Used RealTemp to log my temperatures and speeds while playing a bit of Portal 2. I only tested for 5 minutes but speeds stayed pretty much locked at 2.8GHz, which is good, however temps of one core did go as high as 95 degrees. Would anyone recommend a laptop cooler? I looked some up and they all seemed to give glowing reviews to £40 coolers that managed a few degrees reduction.

Last edited:

Finn

Enthusiast
Before buying a laptop cooler, its probably worthwhile at least trying to remove any dust, its usually best to clean them out at least once every 6 months, more often if its a dustier than normal environment, or you have long haired pets etc. Easiest way is to get a can of compressed air, they can even be had from supermarkets now.

However low to mid 90's is not unusual for a laptop cpu at full throttle. Cooling systems in laptops just aren't as effective as the 3 kilos of copper, dozen heatpipes + multiple fans a desktop has. However it shouldnt be thermally throttling which I think normally happens at 105 degrees, but it sometimes only takes a little bit of dust build up to push it over the edge.

PotDucky

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah i thought something was wrong with my Vortex II til i opened the case D:

Freaking long haired dog.

fyi running Prime95 on a i7-2820QM maxes my temperature at 85c .