[Optimus III] 'VGA' button stuck.

I have a Optimus III, it is great! But I have run into a slight issue... The 'VGA' button which switches between the integrated has stopped working. It is now permanently orange. This came about completely randomly, I have tried updating all of the drivers but no luck.

Thanks for any help!

medge790

Did you ever get a reply to this? I have the same problem on an Optimus IV and would love to know the answer. Anything to do with updating graphics drivers (albeit from Nvidia directly).

Pagey

Bright Spark
If anything, try updating the "hotkey" drivers first, I noticed when I removed those drivers that "VGA" button was useless.

sirbb

I spent a long time researching this for my Optimus IV and finally came up with the answer - at least it works for me (the VGA button also having stopped working) and I have since then done another complete re-install of Windows 7 from scratch and can confirm that this method still works.

The problem is to do with the way nVidia updates their drivers and the resulting conflict with the HotKey facility. For some reason the PhysX part of the driver gets "broken" when the nVidia driver updates if you update it automatically (in other words, allow the downloaded files to update themselves rather than doing it manually) . The "broken" PhysX in turn causes the VGA button/hotkey to cease functioning too.

It doesn't seem to matter which version of the nVidia driver or which HotKey driver version you are starting with but the trick is to the following:

1. Assuming that from scratch you have both the HotKey driver installed and the nVidia driver installed (and both are working correctly) if prompted to download an nVidia update, do so and go as far as validating the update then close out of it (the files will have extracted to a destination of your choosing).
2. After that go into Device Manager and manually update the nVidia driver (making sure not to touch the PhysX driver) by highlighting on the nVidia device and choosing "update driver".
3. Probably best to re-boot after this has been completed, regardless of whether you are asked to or not.
3. That's it!

Updating manually avoids touching the PhysX part of the system and therefore should not change the ability to use the VGA button.

I pieced this information together from days of googling it and putting two and two together - there doesn't seem to be one source for this information I am afraid. It also seems that it is the non-PhysX part of the nVidia driver that should be updated and not updating the PhysX part will not affect your system.