Optimus IV and general tinkerings.

Pagey

Bright Spark
So I've been using my Optimus IV for a short while now, squashed many bugs and sorted many problems, thought I'd share a few findings here.

Just be aware that this is running Windows 8, I've NOT tried any of these findings on Windows 7, so I can't even say what will happen there.

The audio fix is for my set-up so I have no idea if it will work on other machines. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Also I have to note that this audio fix does NOT fix the BIOS problem, you'll still need to sort that one out yourselves if you have no audio I'm afraid.

Firstly audio-wise I've removed both the Clevo audio drivers and the Creative THX drivers, (I frankly found the THX drivers pointless.) I've installed Realteks own drivers for the audio chip used in this particular model, so far the sound seems a bit louder, (this may be a placebo effect, so I'm not really sure.) On top of that there are some really nice audio enhancements in the audio setting, (an EQ for a start which is always a really nice addition.) I've tried using audio out on the HDMI out and that works fine, headphones too, just need to test the spdiff out. Nothing too ground-breaking here.

Graphics wise I was having a few problems getting certain games to correctly utilise the 660M, I could add them to the list but the option to use the 660 would be greyed-out. I found out if you get that problem, to just add the game exe to the list as normal and save it then restart the computer, when you reload and check the game again in the list it should allow you to select the 660.

Another thing to note is that Windows 8 has an option enabled by default and I would imagine quite a few people don't know about it: In the "More Power Options" if you go to the section to define what the power buttons do, at the bottom of the window are the "Shutdown Settings", the top one being "Turn on fast start-up". To explain: This is basically a hibernation setting and will hibernate the computer but act like a shut-down, so when you restart it's actually coming out of hibernation but acting like it's starting up fresh. My personal opinion to shutting down and starting up a computer is thus: When using a computer during the day I'll hibernate it when I'm not using it and at the end of the day do a full shut-down. So I'll link the Power button to hibernate and turn off the "fast start-up" so I can fully shut the computer down at the end of the day. Obviously different people use their computers in different way, so I'm really not telling you to do it, but I find it pretty fool-proof.

This is all I have for now, but I'll probably add more as I go along.

If anyone has any problems or comments on this then please give me some input.

Last edited: