Optimus IV from 2012

Pagey

Bright Spark
Yay, necroposting!

So, it looks the CPU died on me, what's the max spec CPU that can go into this thing, am I limited by the tdp?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wh
Yay, necroposting!

So, it looks the CPU died on me, what's the max spec CPU that can go into this thing, am I limited by the tdp?
What makes you think the cpu died? Would be very unusual for a cpu to fail unless you hadn’t serviced it over an extended period and it failed due to overheating, but then the likelihood is that the motherboard would be fried too.

You’d only be able to fit the same generation as the sockets change with intel every 2 generations, to find one in the first place would be extremely hard, let alone being worth it, I’d suggest you just need to bite the bullet and get a new machine.

The socket is FCPGA988

Pagey

Bright Spark
Bit of backstory: The laptop was working fine that I was aware of the day before it stopped, it wasn't even being taxed, just using it to view a PDF of some Lego instructions.

Next time I used it; nothing, the lights came on to say the laptop had power, but that was it, not even the caps lock light would come on when pressed.

First thing I tried was changing the CMOS battery, but that did nothing. After a little googling, I removed everything from the laptop, excluding the CPU hoping for an error beep, and again nothing.

The poor thing isn't even posting.

I actually have an older laptop that does work, (for now), but the Optimus IV is still very capable for what I want out of it, not ready to let her die just yet.

I've been hunting around on fleabay for a second hand CPU, but noticed with the Ivy Bridge there are 55W i7's on there, I'm rocking a 45W version, but there are better versions than what I have. Actually on looking at the socket info, it can take the extreme version.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bit of backstory: The laptop was working fine that I was aware of the day before it stopped, it wasn't even being taxed, just using it to view a PDF of some Lego instructions.

Next time I used it; nothing, the lights came on to say the laptop had power, but that was it, not even the caps lock light would come on when pressed.

First thing I tried was changing the CMOS battery, but that did nothing. After a little googling, I removed everything from the laptop, excluding the CPU hoping for an error beep, and again nothing.

The poor thing isn't even posting.

I actually have an older laptop that does work, (for now), but the Optimus IV is still very capable for what I want out of it, not ready to let her die just yet.

I've been hunting around on fleabay for a second hand CPU, but noticed with the Ivy Bridge there are 55W i7's on there, I'm rocking a 45W version, but there are better versions than what I have. Actually on looking at the socket info, it can take the extreme version.
When was the last time you serviced it before it failed?

Pagey

Bright Spark
I genuinely couldn't tell you, I rarely used it. It was only used when I didn't want to lug the big PC about. Looking at the heatsink there wasn't even any dust on it since it was last cleaned, even the paste wasn't dry.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I genuinely couldn't tell you, I rarely used it. It was only used when I didn't want to lug the big PC about. Looking at the heatsink there wasn't even any dust on it since it was last cleaned, even the paste wasn't dry.
Unlikely an issue with the paste then, that’s good.

That’s just unlucky, I don’t know how these kinds of failures occur, if it’s a random spike that fries something, but I would have expected the power supply to take the brunt of that.

Could just be a bad bid of CPU silicon that was already defective in some way and just chose now to outright fail.