Optimus IV - Hangs/Freezes Randomly - Mouse Still Moves - Hard Reset Required - Win8

Rahl

Hello,

EDIT: just happened again, caught, this time while listening to audio in chrome, and caught chrome not responding in the task manager just before the lock-up. So it seems to be chrome, any ideas for a fix?

I purchased my Optimus IV 11 months ago, currently running Windows 8 (not 8.1), it has been running very well since, negligible problems, however in the last 14 days it has locked-up randomly on 5 occasions. Each time this has happened I've been watching something in Chrome, or had Word open and the computer idle.

I've been through event viewer thoroughly, and nothing stands out - there are no errors or critical events logged at the times of the crash, only after the hard reset (e.g. unexpected shutdown). The only thing with any pattern is a DHCP address assignment error a few minutes after the lock-up, coinciding with all the recent crashes, though it has happened with no crash in the past.

I had heard that idle maintenance can cause problems, so disabled that in Task Scheduler, however it has frozen once since doing so. I've had Task Manger open a couple of times when it happened - nothing unusual showing at the time of crash, no CPU or Disk over-use, and system temps are fine (Speedfan - 40 to 60C).

Typically I'll go to click something after a period of inactivity, it doesn't respond (on the last occasion this was Netflix streaming), then you get about 5 seconds where you can do something (i.e. grab a look at Task Manager) and then it totally locks up, but the mouse can still move. It's unresponsive to any keyboard input (including CTRL+ALT+DLT) and a hard reset is the only option - even tried waiting 30 minutes on one occasion. It first happened when I fell asleep and left a youtube livestream running.

As far as I'm aware all of my graphics and other hardware drivers are up to date - not sure the best way to check this. I use the in-built Windows Defender for antimalware etc and have malwarebytes to scan every now and then. I don't have any other unusual software installed.

I'm baffled and quite worried, as this is a fairly major problem - would greatly appreciate some insight or potential solutions if anyone has any.

Many thanks,
Rahl

Optimus IV Specs:

Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
mSATA SSD Drive NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Battery Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 8 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Last edited: