Optimus IV - Independent GPU button?

dlatimer

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

Still mulling over quotes and noticed one of the pictures of the Optimus IV models suggests a button on the right hand-side is an 'Independent GPU button'.

Could someone explain what this is used for? :) Does it swap between Integrated and the GTX 660m?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
My friend has an Optimus III and despite a lot of experimentation, we can't ascertain what the button does, if anything. I'd love to know the answer to this.

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
It should switch between nvidia gpu allowed and nvidia gpu off.

It doesn't make everything use the nvidia gpu but allows programs to use it if you set it to, or it thinks it should.

iPHAILZ

Bronze Level Poster
It should switch between nvidia gpu allowed and nvidia gpu off.

It doesn't make everything use the nvidia gpu but allows programs to use it if you set it to, or it thinks it should.

The Nvidia driver should manage this automatically for you. For example using the 4000 in non intensive situations such as web browsing and switching to the nvidia GPU when a game is launched. The short time i had mine before i had to send it back i left the button on orange and everything just worked perfectly.

If you want to manually adjust a program just go into the control centre>manage 3d settings and change the program you want to utilize the GPU yuo want.

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
Interesting; so are you able to disable the Nvidia GPU whenever you want if you'd prefer it to stick to the integrated until you want the Nvidia GPU back?

Yes, i just pressed the button so it went green, then i ran Driver:SF which i have set in the options to always use the nvidia chip. The light stayed on green and the frame rate was noticeably slower. Then i quitted the game, pressed the button so it went orange again and reloaded and the little led switched from green to orange and the frame rate was much higher.

You will probably find it will not be happy switching from one to the other whilst running apps eg games that are full screen using the nvidia graphics. But if you press the button before loading up the program it should be fine.

Last edited:

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Yeah, the button disables your NV GPU if it is green, it good to use at times when you want to have a game on but in a low FPS state (Normally use it to AFK in mmorpgs) that way your Laptop is nice and cool and reduces chances of heat damage.

Yamikotai

Expert
You will probably find it will not be happy switching from one to the other whilst running apps eg games that are full screen using the nvidia graphics. But if you press the button before loading up the program it should be fine.
Heh, you don't have to tell me twice. My current laptop has AMD's original GPU switching, which works ok but completely kills anything using the GPU whenever you switch, including games, any videos playing, and so on. So I'll be used to have to do that xD

Yes, i just pressed the button so it went green, then i ran Driver:SF which i have set in the options to always use the nvidia chip. The light stayed on green and the frame rate was noticeably slower. Then i quitted the game, pressed the button so it went orange again and reloaded and the little led switched from green to orange and the frame rate was much higher.
Thanks for the input, this was exactly what I was after.

sundalic

that's good to know. for some reason I assumed green would be for the NVidia and couldn't figure out why I was getting such poor performance. I'll switch it to orange after work and try again.

Yamikotai

Expert
that's good to know. for some reason I assumed green would be for the NVidia and couldn't figure out why I was getting such poor performance. I'll switch it to orange after work and try again.
I could easily see myself making the same mistake :3

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
No problem, hopefully it will work for you.