Optimus IV laptop beep and shuts down

SirTeddy

I have a Optimus IV, 8gb Ram, 17" screen, gtx 660M. I fell over with my laptop in my bag, the laptop wasn't damaged at all on the out side. However when opening it once i got home the laptop would beep on start up and shutdown sometime later or just shut down later without a beep.

I think my warrant just expired a few days ago and would like to know what is causing this problem. Is something loose inside? Thank you

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have a Optimus IV, 8gb Ram, 17" screen, gtx 660M. I fell over with my laptop in my bag, the laptop wasn't damaged at all on the out side. However when opening it once i got home the laptop would beep on start up and shutdown sometime later or just shut down later without a beep.

I think my warrant just expired a few days ago and would like to know what is causing this problem. Is something loose inside? Thank you

If there is something loose or damaged inside you need someone to have a look at it, even if your warranty has expired you could contact technical support and request an RMA.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you're ok with taking the back off check that all the RAM cards are properly seated, that the hard disk(s) are properly seated and that all plugs are properly connected.

The number of beeps on POST can indicate the problem area. The initial splash screen will tell you the manufacturer of your BIOS, you can then visit http://www.bioscentral.com to find out what the beep code you are hearing actually means. That might help you localise what to look for.

SirTeddy

Thank you for the advice. I will be opening the back shortly to see if anything is as it should be. the number of beeps is 1, the manufacturer of my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc and some more information is below. Im not sure what im looking for on the website though.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer CLEVO CO.
System Model W370ET
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5, 21/06/2012

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you for the advice. I will be opening the back shortly to see if anything is as it should be. the number of beeps is 1, the manufacturer of my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc and some more information is below. Im not sure what im looking for on the website though.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer CLEVO CO.
System Model W370ET
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5, 21/06/2012

One beep is RAM failure (see http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm#) so check carefully that all the RAM cards are properly inserted still. It might be worth popping them out and then clicking them home again. Sadly this could also be motherboard damage, but lets hope it's just the RAM cards...

SirTeddy

okay thank you. Ill try and re insert the RAM when I get home and let you guys know how it went. If however the RAM is not the problem. Will there be no saving the laptop or is there still hope?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There's always hope. :)

Whilst you're checking the RAM make sure everything else looks ok. Check that all plugs and sockets are properly seated, check that the hard drive(s) are properly seated, etc. Have a good look for any damage inside too.

If you can't fix it yourself than you'll need to call PCS and get it sent back. I don't think the warranty covers you for dropping it in any case.

SirTeddy

I've taken the Laptop apart and re-inserted the hard drive and RAM Sticks into their slots. Started up the laptop and no beep, I will edit this post if the laptop still shuts itself off randomly. But apart from that nothing looks damaged inside at all.

Fingers crossed.