Optimus IV Shipping from 5th October 2012?

rb2610

I ordered an Optimus IV (17") on Sunday, so it's on day 3 now (Pre-Production).

When I was browsing today I noticed that on the store page for the Optimus IV (both 15 and 17") said "Shipping from 5th October 2012". (10th for the 15")

Does this apply to all orders currently in progress or just orders placed since the message was put up?

So will I have to wait until Oct 5th even though I ordered at the weekend? :/

dlatimer

Bronze Level Poster
Looks like an update to the model?

I put an order through for an Optimus 17" on Saturday and so I would also be interested to know the above question as well.

rb2610

Looks like you're right, it's been upgraded to Creative Soundblaster Audio.

Now I don't know if I'd rather a longer wait and the extra new stuff or have the laptop arriving earlier.

Unless maybe we'll be incredibly lucky and get the newer model, but shipped early *crosses fingers and hopes* :D

That said, after a google it looks like the SoundBlaster thingamyjig is actually software rather than hardware, so I wonder if anything else has changed other than that?

dlatimer

Bronze Level Poster
I contacted PCS and they've informed me that my order is currently going to be one of the previous builds. However, if I wanted the newer model they can hold my order for a couple of weeks.

The only thing that looks notably improved is the inclusion of the soundblaster software, so I've asked whether or not I can just have this and stick with the previous build.

I've also asked whether or not there are any significant improvements that would be worth waiting for, as it doesn't seem much different when you're reading the spec.

Last edited:

rb2610

Awesome, thanks for the info!

As it is, unless there are some other improvements it doesn't seem worth waiting the extra time just for a bit of extra software.

Though hardware changes could be worth waiting for, depending if there are any and what they are.

dlatimer

Bronze Level Poster
There are no hardware changes, just the addition of the soundblaster software. The delay until the 5th October is the date which PCS expect the software to arrive.

I've asked for my order to continue the way it is, as I don't want want to wait that long for just new software.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody who ordered the Optimus IV will receive the soundblaster software. We've had to put the shipping date on because sales have been so high that we've sold out before new stock has landed...

RichyJ91

Bronze Level Poster
I'm assuming the orders will be built and ready to go, except the software, before the 10th? So that as soon as it comes in it can just be installed and dispatched? I dont really wanna be waiting even longer after the 10th :(

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
They will be built as quickly as possible after the stock lands. We cannot guarantee any dates but it is likely to be before 10th.