Optimus Pro XI - Ryzen 4000 Cpu?

richardnpaul

What are you talking about? AMD are on PCIe 4, it’s into that are stuck on PCIe3, but a GPU can work in either, there’s no compatibility issues.

Intel did a deal with NVidia to remain competitive for a little while longer as they know they’ve lost the mobile market now.
You might want to look it up. They didn't have time when locking in the Renior design to add PCI-E 4.0, so it's a 3.0 interface and only 8x at that for the gpu

richardnpaul

Also, it wouldn't matter if they were using PCI-E 4.0, its still an 8x electrical interface, NVIDIA are still using PCI-E 3.0 on the 20x0 series and AMD don't yet have anything in the same space on laptops.

Charlas

Enthusiast
What are you talking about? AMD are on PCIe 4, it’s into that are stuck on PCIe3, but a GPU can work in either, there’s no compatibility issues.

Intel did a deal with NVidia to remain competitive for a little while longer as they know they’ve lost the mobile market now.

Yeah was just an Intel marketing deal with nvidia, nothing to do with PCIe, and think your right the R4000 is only PCIe3, not sure about lane counts, but most of the maxQ parts are only 8 lane parts any how, AMD have openly said that there are 2070/2080 parts coming later in the year.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also, it wouldn't matter if they were using PCI-E 4.0, its still an 8x electrical interface, NVIDIA are still using PCI-E 3.0 on the 20x0 series and AMD don't yet have anything in the same space on laptops.
Have you got any links, there's no suggestion of any of this from any of the tech channels?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

" Each chip has sixteen PCIe 3.0 lanes, split such that x8 is available for a graphics card, and two x4 links for storage. There are separate PCIe lanes for other modules such as Wi-Fi 6 or mobile network access (4G/5G). "
But that wouldn’t have any impact on them integrating a higher end GPU.

According to this thread, it’s not a hardware limitation that prevents nvidia rtx2070 and up cards on AMD laptops, it’s down to the OEMs and likely because intel has paid them off. I would t be surprised if we see a class action for anticompetitive against intel as a result:

“It would suggest that Intel will still hold the top spot in the premium and enthusiast notebook market but while you might suspect Intel had something to do with this (an exclusive deal with OEMs), on the other hand, AMD should also be blamed for pushing its Navi Mobile GPU launch this long and NVIDIA's chips already powering several of their own notebook designs rather than Radeon GPUs.”

The limitation of 8x vs 16x on PCIe 3 related to gpus

Last edited:

Charlas

Enthusiast
But that wouldn’t have any impact on them integrating a higher end GPU.

According to this thread, it’s not a hardware limitation that prevents nvidia rtx2070 and up cards on AMD laptops, it’s down to the OEMs and likely because intel has paid them off. I would t be surprised if we see a class action for anticompetitive against intel as a result:

“It would suggest that Intel will still hold the top spot in the premium and enthusiast notebook market but while you might suspect Intel had something to do with this (an exclusive deal with OEMs), on the other hand, AMD should also be blamed for pushing its Navi Mobile GPU launch this long and NVIDIA's chips already powering several of their own notebook designs rather than Radeon GPUs.”

The limitation of 8x vs 16x on PCIe 3 related to gpus

Oh yeah, I agree, nothing to do with Hardware, and all to do with the deal Intel have for the Super and GDDR6 parts that nvidia launched, and the only card that doesn't currently use GDDR6 from nvidia is the 2060.... Hence the only one that's in the Ryzen4000 machines.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh yeah, I agree, nothing to do with Hardware, and all to do with the deal Intel have for the Super and GDDR6 parts that nvidia launched, and the only card that doesn't currently use GDDR6 from nvidia is the 2060.... Hence the only one that's in the Ryzen4000 machines.
I really hope intel get a severe hammering if they have throttled OEMs with AMD, that’s just unforgivable.

Charlas

Enthusiast
I really hope intel get a severe hammering if they have throttled OEMs with AMD, that’s just unforgivable.

Maybe, but these sorts of limited-time releases for 'new' products happen all the time, games on Xbox/PlayStation do it all the time, for example, I bet they have 6 months exclusivity, and after that, we will see the Ryzens get the parts too. Until then I doubt there is anything anyone can do about it.

Not the first time intel and AMD have done similar stuff, AMD, for example, have limited the 35w parts to one of the manufacturers (or the 45w ones, either way, can't remember off the top of head), and Intel have done similar stuff with some of their processor SKU's

bluiska

Does anyone know if the cooling system in the Optimus Pro 4800H version is the same as the Eluktronics RP-15? If so, I'm happy with the thermal performance of the ELuktronics and would love to get the Optimus Pro especially for £1038 with a 2060 :O

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Does anyone know if the cooling system in the Optimus Pro 4800H version is the same as the Eluktronics RP-15? If so, I'm happy with the thermal performance of the ELuktronics and would love to get the Optimus Pro especially for £1038 with a 2060 :O
Any chassis will be exactly the same no matter who the reseller is. The chassis is set by the manufacturer.

This has already been answered here for you:

plzt

Maybe, but these sorts of limited-time releases for 'new' products happen all the time, games on Xbox/PlayStation do it all the time, for example, I bet they have 6 months exclusivity, and after that, we will see the Ryzens get the parts too. Until then I doubt there is anything anyone can do about it.

Not the first time intel and AMD have done similar stuff, AMD, for example, have limited the 35w parts to one of the manufacturers (or the 45w ones, either way, can't remember off the top of head), and Intel have done similar stuff with some of their processor SKU's

Any idea on timeframes of the Intel exclusivity? If it's not too long I'd wait for the AMD with a 2070 super

Last edited: